1938: A 60-foot timber tower supporting a water tank and a 6 x 6 lookout cab (building number 4220) was constructed by members of the Civilian Conservation Corps.
March 26, 1938: "Reference is made to lightning protection requirements for the Unity lookout and water tank tower. List of materials : 2 - Type T-3 Air Terminals; 66 - Type U Connectors; 80 - Connector Straps; 140 - 1" x 5/16" Stove Bolts, copper plated; 24 - 1-1/4" x 8 R.H. Brass Wood Screws; 90 - 3/4" x 8 R.H. Brass Wood Screws; 550 feet #2 B&S gauge bare solid copper wire. Above working details refer to instructions and specifications for Protection Against Lightning, U.S.D.A., Forest Service, 1932. Page 40 in this booklet shows a similar installation. Each down conductor should be connected to the tank and the ground connections may be made on the water pipe underground. (Memo to Forest Supervisor from Assistant Regional Forester)
April 16, 1938: "The creosoted material for the combined tank and lookout tower to be constructed at Unity has been inspected at The Dalles and conditionally accepted. Some changes have been required in the shop marking of the material, and the leg members have been rejected owing to lack of penetration of the creosote. These latter pieces are to be retreated immediately and the order will be delivered at Unity not later than Thursday of next week. The construction foreman should be informed that the leg members were shop assembled and bored. All posts and splices have been match marked, but the system has not exactly followed the detail drawings. However, no difficulty should arise in construction if the posts are segregated in accordance with their marking." (E - Improvements, Towers - Whitman)
August 24, 1939: "The new lookout tower at Unity has been completed. This tower is 63 ft. to the floor and permits a fire view of the upper Burnt River Valley. Visitors are welcome." (The Record-Courier)
July 26, 1962: "The emergency fire lookout tower at Unity is being manned during the high hazard days." (The Record-Courier)