1916:A cabin constructed on a high foundation of stacked rocks had an open platform on the roof accessed by a ladder along the side of the building. An enclosed cupola was added at a later date.
July 20, 1916: "The recent warm weather is causing the forest service to get fire guards at the various lookout points. One of the most picturesque fire stations is on the summit of Baldy mountain at an elevation 8330 feet. This station has been put in charge of Orlin L. Ireland, and will be his home for the next few months." (Blue Mountain American)
September 2, 1916: "Because of the almost unbelievable range of vision to be had from, Bald mountain lookout station assumes first place in importance. On a clear day Mount Hood may be seen from this station, at a distance of approximately 180 miles on an air line. Bald mountain rises rather gently from the south and from the top drops off rather abruptly to the north several hundred feet. At the highest point two huge granite boulders were blasted off and made level. Next to these on the eastern side a rock was was constructed. Together these form the foundation on which a durable 12 x 12 house has been built. A stairway leads up the side of the rock wall to the porch. The house isfitted with large plate glass windows which extend entirely around it. In his revolving office chair, the lookout man may view the surrounding terrirory with little effort. The value of such an arrangement as this lies in the fact that no matter what he may be doing, he may still be scanning the horizon for little tell tale wreath of smoke of a newly started fire. On the roof of the house which is reached by ladder, is mounted on a platform the firefinder." (Blue Mountain American)
May 13, 1917: "The United States Geographic board has approved the changing of the name Bald mountain. near Sumpter, Or., to Ireland mountain in commemoration of the late Henry Ireland, who for 10 years was supervisor of the Whitman national forest on which the mountain is located. The change was recommended by the Oregon Geographic board in recognition of the work done by Supervisor Ireland in the administration and development of the Whitman national forest. Ireland mountain is 8330 feet high, and has a forest service lookout station on its summit. This is the second natural feature of the North Pacific national forest district to be named for a prominent forester. Plummer peak, just south of Mount Rainier, being the first, named in honor of Fred G. Plummer, who did much valuable geographic work in the geological survey and later, as chief of geography, in the forest service." (The Oregon Daily Journal)
May 20, 1917: "Bald Mountain, a peak in the Blue Range of Eastern Oregon, will hereafter be known as Ireland Mountain, the change in name, which was proposed by the Oregon Geographic Board, having been approved by the United States Geographic Board. The change was recommended in commemoration of the late Henry Ireland, for ten years supervisor of the Whitman National Forest, on which the mountain is located. Ireland Mountain is 8330 feet high and has a forest service lookout station on its summit." (Oakland Tribune)
August 2, 1917: "Every available man in Sumpter was rushed out to Mt. Ireland to fight fire Wednesday afternoon. The fire was near Downie lake. It was discovered by Orlin Ireland from the lookout station on the summit of the mountain." (Blue Mountain American)
1928: A cupola was added to the lookout house.
October 3, 1934: "Lewis York who has been employed at the Mt. Ireland lookout station during the vacation months, came to Corvallis recently to enroll for work at Oregon State college." (Corvallis Gazette-Times)
July 27, 1937: "Norman McDonald, lookout on Mt. Ireland, was knocked down by lightning striking close to his station, but he was not injured." (Baker Democrat-Herald)
August 9, 1945: "Bud Burgess, forest ranger, was in Sumpter last week. Mr. and Mrs. Avery Berry and Peggy Slaughter were at Mount Ireland lookout station Sunday. Mr. Berry is the ranger of the Dale district, having come from Roseburg a few months ago." (The Record-Courier)
June 26, 1952: "Mr. and Mrs. Fred Palmer of Baker are to be Mt. (Ireland) lookouts this summer. At present time they are at the Sumpter guard station." (The Record-Courier)
1957: The cupola and foundation were blown up to prepare the way for the new all steel CL-100 lookout house.
June 26, 1958: "Manned already are Mt. Ireland forest lookout by Frank Rasmussen, acting weather observer for the budworm control pilots." (Baker Record-Courier)
July 24, 1958: "Glen Macy of Baker is lookout on Mt. Ireland, 27 miles northwest of Dooley." (Baker Record-Courier)
July 2, 1959: "To go up later will be Robert Jervais to Mt. Ireland." (The Record-Courier)
September 2, 1970: "Mt. Ireland and Bald Mt. Lookouts are now manned 24 hours a day until fire danger decreases. Other fire detection points on the district are being manned on an emergency basis." (Baker Democrat-Herald)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - IRELAND MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT HOUSE PID - QC0888 STATE/COUNTY- OR/GRANT COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - MT IRELAND (1984)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1916 (CVH) THE STATION IS THE CENTER OF THE TOP OF THE FOREST SERVICE LOOKOUT HOUSE ON IRELAND MOUNTAIN SECTION 29, T. 8 S., R. 36 E., W.M. THE LOOKOUT HOUSE IS SITUATED ON THE HIGHEST POINT OF THE MOUNTAIN ON THE DIVIDE BETWEEN GRANT AND BAKER COUNTIES, NEAR THE HEAD OF POWDER RIVER.
STATION RECOVERY (1936)
RECOVERY NOTE BY US FOREST SERVICE 1936 THIS INTERSECTED POSITION IS THE CENTER OF CUPOLA ON THE IRELAND MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT HOUSE ON IRELAND MOUNTAIN, A VERY PROMINENT PEAK OF THE BLUE MOUNTAINS, ON THE DIVIDE FORMING THE BOUNDARY BETWEEN BAKER AND GRANT COUNTIES, AND NEAR THE HEAD OF POWDER RIVER. THE MOUNTAIN WAS FORMERLY KNOWN AS BALD MOUNTAIN.
IN 1898 THE U.S.G.S. ESTABLISHED STATION BALDY (U.S.G.S.), BY INTERSECTION, ON THIS SUMMIT AND MARKED IT BY A DISK AT THE S BASE OF THE N OF TWO VERY LARGE BOULDERS. THE DISK WAS DESTROYED WHEN THE LOOKOUT HOUSE WAS BUILT IN 1916, AND THE CENTER OF THE HOUSE IS ESTIMATED TO BE ABOUT 10 FEET S FROM THE OLD STATION.
IN 1928 THE ROOF OF THE HOUSE WAS RAISED SEVERAL FEET BUT THE CENTER IS UNCHANGED.