Mount Hood National Forest > Oregon Dept. of Forestry 5S-11E-34
March 21, 1934: Panorama photos taken by Robert Snyder.
c.1936: 184 man-hours of labor were required to construct the 40-foot laminated timber tower.
September 1936: "Lookout fireman Paul Dennis, who is stationed at Foreman Point lookout tower on the east side of the Mount Hood National Forest, has been annoyed considerably by yellow jackets. Other forest lookout men have also reported that yellow jackets are altogether too plentiful this year for comfort. While they seem to be more numerous at the higher elevations, they are also bothersome to the men in Forest Service work camps, to campers, and summer home people. Of course, those who have to put up with yellow jackets try to do something toward their extermination and lookout man Paul Dennis has succeeded in a big way in this respect. His kill at last report was a total of six gallons of yellow jackets, which is some take! Dennis' method of trapping the yellow jackets and subsequently killing them is ingenious, yet simple. He made a cylinder of a piece of screen wire about 14" x 24". Next he made a funnel of screen wire. In a hole in the bottom of the cylinder, the funnel is inserted. The rig is then placed on a table or on the floor, being elevated from the table or floor about 3/8 of an inch by the use of two pieces of sticks of that thickness. Then directly under the funnel, a dish of water is placed. According to Dennis, yellow jackets are always looking for water so after they crawl in under the funnel and get a drink, they naturally want to fly and they always fly up. So they fly through the small hole in the funnel and into the cylinder. When the cylinder is full Dennis either pours gasoline over it, which kills the yellow jackets instantly, or else holds the cylinder over a burning newspaper. For those who have ever been stung by yellow jackets, more power to Paul Dennis will be our wish. A.O. Waha" (Six Twenty-Six)
June 16, 1940: Panorama photos taken by R.E.R.
1952: The lookout tower was replaced by a 40-foot timber tower with a 14x14 cab.
1954: A new garbage pit dug and cabin painted inside and outside. (North Central Unit Annual Report)
1965: During the fire season this station called four first discoveries.
1966: "The lookout was wired for electricity with 220 volts, but 110 volts is all the service supplied at the present time. The other 110 volt leg will follow within a year. The interior of the lookout cab was painted." (1966 Annual Report to Oregon Department of Forestry)
1966: This station called two first reports this season.