1930’s: The first lookout at Alder Springs was a 90-foot Pine tree with a six foot platform. The fire-finder rested on the cut off top of the tree. A four foot high railing surrounded the platform. Access was by way of a 53-foot ladder built up the tree trunk to the lower branches. This site was located southwest of Alder Springs. The lookout traveled daily from his tent house at Prairie Farm Guard Station a couple miles to the south.