Activated: October 30, 1942. Portland Filter Center.
1942: AWS construction consisted of a 10x12 observation post.
1943: A 10 x 12 room was built onto the present house for the AWS.
1947: A 14x14 lookout cabin was constructed on a tower at a cost of $3690.23.
August 10, 1951: "A visit to the look-out on Mt. Nicolai by two members of ye scribe's family Sunday accompanied by George Jones was quite and interesting one. The road was long and steep and the tower stood high above. A climb up to the room at the top where the keepers of the lookout, Mrs. Bridgewater and her daughter, live in the room at the top. But it is very comfortable and homelike. The cats were sleeping lazily on a cushion. When the wind blows 30 per the tower weaves to and fro. Quite a job for these two ladies who safeguard the surrounding country from fire as much as possible. It's a splendid view from the tower. A two-way radio keeps them in touch with the outside world and they have many visitors, too." (Clatskanie Chief)
1955: Improvements included: painting the cabin inside and out, creosoted the tower legs, dug a new garbage pit and developed the spring.
1956: The interior was repainted.
1961: "Completed construction of replacement of Nicolai Lookout. A new 40-foot tower with 14x14 cabin. Materials purchased from previous fiscal budget. Cost of materials for cabin $1721.26; labor $1598.51; total cost $3319.77." (Northwest Oregon District Annual Report - 1961)
1963: The lookout was abandoned.
1969: "A concrete building was constructed to house a high-band radio repeating unit. This completes the new radio system." (Northwest Oregon District Annual Report - 1969)