May 21, 1931: "This site was selected as an auxiliary lookout site, with plans to build a fifty foot wood tower." (Lake County Examiner)
1931: In September the seventy-five foot tower was near completion. In early August, a fire started in a spot on Cox Creek that could not be located from any lookout point. This lookout was only a few days from completion and staffing, covers the area of the fire.
1931: The 73-foot Aermotor steel tower with a 7x7 cab completed. Also a one room 12x16 living quarters built. The lookout was equipped with a Osborne #4 firefinder.
1932: Lightning protection was installed on the tower and the cabin. The standard system was grounded at a spring ¾ mile away.
1948: Major improvements were made to the living quarters. New cabinets, linoleum and a sealing job inside. The exterior improvements consisted of a new roof.
1956: Air markings were completed this station was numbered F-16.
September 10, 1959: From a report of the inspection by the Regional Office of Engineering. "The lookout tower is steel, and 73 feet in height. The cab is steel, and 7x7 in size. Tower and cab were made by Aermotor, and were erected in 1931. The inspection found the premises clean and orderly. Deficiencies: Northwest guy too loose. Platform boards on sixth and seventh landings need replacement. Stairs and landings not properly fenced. Recommendations: Tighten guy, replace boards and install fencing for stairs and platform landings."
October 26, 1961: "Attached you will find photographs showing Shoestring Butte Lookout tower on Thomas Creek Ranger District. Tower has no living quarters. In event funds cannot be made available for this replacement we request funds for purchase of a trailer house as living quarters for the lookout. Please advise if you concur and we will prepare site plans and 1300-4 immediately." (Memo from the Forest Supervisor to the Regional Forester )
February 5, 1963: From a memo to the Forest Supervisor from the District Ranger: "Shoestring Lookout screens were checked and safety devices installed on trap door to keep it closed. The work was completed in June, 1962."
May 13, 1968: A letter from the Fremont N.F. to the Regional Office. "Slide Mountain and Shoestring are both steel towers which were offered to the Army last fall. Since we are now advised they will not be taken, we plan to push them over and unbolt the steel members this summer. We will attempt to sell the scrap metal, although it is doubtful if we can get bidders to haul from the remote locations."
October 23, 1968: A memorandum from Forest Engineer to the Regional Forester. "We have sold Shoestring and Slide Mountain steel Lookout towers for scrap. The towers have not yet been removed."
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - SHOESTRING PID - NY0803 STATE/COUNTY- OR/LAKE COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - SHOESTRING BUTTE (1980)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1948 (MTP) STATION IS LOCATED ABOUT 17 MILES NORTHWEST OF LAKEVIEW, AT THE NORTHWEST END OF A PROMINENT TIMBER COVERED RIDGE, AND ON THE SAME SUMMIT AS THE SHOESTRING BUTTE LOOKOUT TOWER. STATION MARK IS SET IN A 1X1 FOOT BOULDER PROJECTING 2 INCHES ABOVE THE SURFACE OF THE GROUND. THE MARK IS 40 FEET NORTHWEST OF THE LOOKOUT CABIN, AND 12 FEET SOUTHEAST OF THE EDGE OF THE BLUFF. THE MARK IS STAMPED SHOESTRING 1948.
TO REACH--FROM THE JUNCTION OF U.S. HIGHWAY 395 AND STATE HIGHWAY 66, GO NORTH ON U.S. HIGHWAY 395 FOR 0.8 MILE, TURN LEFT AND GO 0.2 MILE TO A WELL KEPT LOGGING ROAD, TURN RIGHT AND CONTINUE ON FOR 6.1 MILES TO CROSSROADS, TAKE LEFT, MAIN TRAVELED ROAD, FOR 0.5 MILE, HERE TAKE LEFT FORK FOR 1.8 MILES, HERE CONTINUE ON AS PER SIGN SHOESTRING L.O. 9 FOR 9.6 MILES TO THE LOOKOUT TOWER AND THE STATION SITE.