July 21, 1926: " The Klamath Forest Protective Association lookout on the lofty summit of Gayheart Mountain reported, to Association headquarters here at 2 o’clock today that the Lakeview fire had broken away and was running wild, with great columns of black smoke boiling up from the burning forest." (The Evening Herald)
July 4, 1930: " A new lookout has been established by the Forest Service on Gearhart Mountain. Lester Collins has been placed in charge. It has been open since July 1." (Lake County Tribune)
September 20, 1937: " Allen and Tierney, enrollees at Camp Bly CCC, are stationed at the Gearhart Mountain lookout. The enrollees will return to camp on September 20, because the lookout is an emergency station and occupied only during extremely hot weather." (Camp Bly Zephyr - CCC)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - GEARHART PID - NY0827 STATE/COUNTY- OR/LAKE COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - CAMPBELL RESERVOIR (1988) SINCE NO AZIMUTH MARK WAS ESTABLISHED THE APEX OF THE ROOF OF GEARHART MTN. LOOKOUT CABIN WAS USED. IT IS A 10X12 FOOT BUILDING APPROXIMATELY 15 FEET HIGH AND IS 4-1/2 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE STATION ON THE SOUTHEAST SLOPE OF GEARHART MOUNTAIN.