June 27, 1935: "The Sod House CCC camp is making appreciable progress toward developing the Malheur bird refuge. The construction of the new road over the higher elevation south of the Springer spring where the permanent administration buildings are being erected is being pushed by a large crew of men; others are preparing the foundation piers for the 99 foot high steel observation tower that is to occupy a prominent point that overlooks the lake." (Burns Herald-Times)
January 2, 2016: A group of disenchanted citizens occupied the Wildlife Refuge's headquarters. Along with the main compound the lookout tower on the hill above was being used as an observation point.