August 5, 1944: "Two groups of saddle horses have been obtained for the use of the Marines at the Klamath Falls barracks, Col. B. Dubel, commanding officer, announced today. One is a group of Government mounts, received from the Army remount service and will be used to maintain fire patrols along firebreaks and crests of hills surrounding the barracks, and, in case of emergency, to dispatch firefighting parties to the immediate scene of grass and forest fires. The patrol, with a detachment of marines on duty as riders, will be continuous during the fire season, Colonel Dubel said. These animals will also be used in training troops in mounted combat patrol work. The type of duty Marines have often been called upon to perform in the past. In fact, “Horse Marine” outfits have long been famous in China, Hawaii and other Marine Corps stations." (Herald and News)
August 6, 1945: The caption under two pictures: " Surveying the Klamath basin area from a height of about 5500 feet is the new fire lookout built near the Marine barracks and manned by men from the installation. In the upper picture, PFC George Goleash of Springfield, Ill., is on watch, and the lower photo shows a view of the complete tower. Three men are at this fire tower for 24 hours a day about a hundred yards from the lookout there is a tent, outdoor grill, and cooking facilities for use of the men on duty there. The tower is connected by telephone to the fire house at the barracks." (Herald and News)
1946: The Marine Barracks was closed and the lookout no longer used.