May 29, 1915: "Two telephone prospects have just been completed, on one of which the last four miles was built by the forest crew in eight feet of snow. This was on top of Balm Mountain, in the upper Willamette district. This line was built under the direction of Forest Ranger C.T. Jones, and extends from Rigdon station by way of Bristow prairie, a distance of 12 miles to Balm mountain. It will be this line that that will connect with the telephone system in the Umpqua forest and form a direct through circuit to Roseburg." (The Eugene Guard)
September 20, 1928: "After unpacking the packer left for Balm mountain seven miles back over the Callapooia trail, where he was to use his horses in dragging up logs for a cabin on the Balm mountain lookout. Before we could get the packer in it was raining, but in the meantime by relays we were trying to get out by moving on the three saddle horses. Upon arriving at Balm mountain lookout we were informed that on account of the rain our fire permit was renewed, whereupon we went into camp with what camp supplies we had and by night had our camp established, but none too soon as by four o'clock it was snowing." (Daily Capital Journal) - a story relating the adventures of a hunting trip.
August 1, 1933: Panorama photos taken Robert Cooper and Lester Moe.
c. 1934: A plan FC-2 (L-4) lookout house was constructed. (???)
1941: The lookout was staffed 75 days and reported to Oakridge Ranger Station via Oakridge Telephone Company.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - BALM MTN LO PID - PC0843 STATE/COUNTY- OR/DOUGLAS COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - STALEY RIDGE (1997)
DESCRIBED BY US FOREST SERVICE 1980 (HPH) THE MARK IS A STANDARD FOREST SERVICE DISK SET IN A DRILL HOLE IN A SMALL BOULDER, 16.5 FEET SOUTH OF THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF THE NOW ABANDONED LOOKOUT HOUSE. IT IS STAMPED BALM MTN, L.O. 1935.
THIS MARK IS REACHED BY HORSE PACK FROM TOKETEE FALLS. 7 HOURS VIA CINDER PRAIRIE TRAIL