July 1, 1926: "On July 15, an additional lookout will be stationed on Sand Mountain, if the fire hazard remains high and the various posts will be strengthened by additional men, Mr. Hall stated." (Albany Democrat-Herald)
September 20, 1929: "Fish in Big Lake, in the Santiam national forest, near Sand mountain, are dying by the hundreds, apparently affected by an ailment similar to that which is killing fish in Suttle and Elk lakes, according to Stewart Ralston, forest service lookout, stationed at Sand mountain. C.C. Hall, forest supervisor, is of the opinion that a poisonous fungus, rather than worms, is the cause of the fish deaths." (Morning Oregonian)
September 25, 1930: “Because the recent rains have lessened the immediate fire danger in the Santiam national forest, Supervisor C.C. Hall has closed three lookout stations for the season. They are the posts on Battleaxe, in the northern part of the forest; on Sand mountain in the east central part and on Carpenter mountain in the southern part of the forest.” (Mill City Logue)
c.1931: A 14 x 14 gable roof lookout house constructed.
September 2, 1933: Panorama photos taken by Robert Snyder.
February 7, 1935: "There is sixteen feet of snow on Sand mountain, where the forest lookout is stationed in the summer, the snow being so deep that a person can walk over the tops of buildings." (The Lebanon Express)
June 7, 1937: "We attach Form R6-01 for the Sand Mt. Garage on the Willamette National Forest. The Forest advises that they will use drawing B-6601 which is the plan used at North Fork Ranger Station. This plan is approved by the Division of Engineering. We attach copy of this memorandum for your convenience in transmitting Form R6-01 to the Forest." (File - E Buildings, Willamette, Sand Mt. Garage by Asst, Asst, Regional Forester)
(Attached Memo) "There does not appear to be any suggestion for one car garage in the Building Plans handbook that would be suitable for this station. The plans shown are all too elaborate for this location. It is quite probable that the R.O. has plans for one-car garages of the approximate dimensions 14 x 20. Woodsheds or tool rooms are not needed, but locker space is desirable so lockers may be added when needed. Shake exterior finish is preferred. Plans and bill of materials for such a structure are requested, so that material may be purchased very shortly and be ready for construction this Spring."
July 14, 1939: "Sand Mountain is rather an unusual type of lookout. It is situated on top of a very barren sandy hill. The gentle slopes of the surrounding mountains are covered with a lava rock crust. A good road leads to the top and from there it is a short walk to the lookout. A total distance from Cascadia is approximately 39 miles. Richard K. Skyles is the lookout fireman." (Albany Democrat-Herald)
1956: Lookout A.C. Miller and training assistant Al Kreger fortified the lookout structure with concrete foundations to augment the steel anchor cables. (Daily Capital Journal)
July 1. 1968: "This is the second time the Willamette National Forest has reported the 200-square foot building on top of Sand Mountain, three miles southwest of the Hoodoo ski area, a victim of fire. In the 7,700-acre Big Lake forest fire last August, flames swept over Sand Mountain and for hours the lookout station was considered lost. It survived that fire only to burn to the ground Saturday. The Forest Service said the cause of the fire is unknown. Lookout Bruce Fish of Portland, and his wife, were off duty attending a movie in Bend Saturday evening. When they returned to Sand Mountain the lookout, a ground house, had burned down. There was about four inches of snow on the ground from Friday's storm at the time." (Eugene Register-Guard)
1968: A portable trailer lookout with a pop-up cupola placed on the summit.
c.1972: The site discontinued as a lookout point.
1990: The dedication of a new lookout structure was held. The new lookout was a project led by Don Allen and the Sand Mountain Society. Materials were donated and from the old R-1 style Whiskey Peak lookout in southern Oregon. Labor was provided by a variety of volunteers.
July 2005: The stairs replaced.
The NGS Data Sheet
DESCRIBED BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1958 RECOVERED AS DESCRIBED BY USGS. STATION MARK WAS FOUND LYING LOOSE AND WAS RESET IN SAME POSITION.
STATION MARK--STANDARD TABLET STAMPED---RESET 1958---. LOCATED ABOUT 27.5 MI E. OF CASCADIA, 26 MI SE. OF DETROIT, 3.5 MI SSE. OF JCT. OF U.S. HWY. 20 AND STATE HWY. 222. ON BARE TOP KNOWN AS SAND MTN.
TO REACH FROM FISH LAKE RANGER STATION, DRIVE 0.6 MI S. ON MAIN-TRAVELED RD. ALONG EAST SIDE OF FISH LAKE TO Y-RD. FORKS. TAKE LEFT FORK AS PER SIGN SHEEP DRIVEWAY, FOLLOWING OLD RD. 5 MI TO RD. FORKS. TURN RIGHT AS PER SIGN SAND MTN LOH 2.0 MI, FOLLOWING RD. 1.6 MI. PACK UP TRAIL TO TOP AND STATION. A 10-MINUTE PACK.