Umatilla National Forest > Oregon Department of Forestry 1S-35E-27
July 1936: "In July a secondary fire danger station was set up. This station gathers data on fuel inflammability, wind direction and velocity and reports this information three times daily to Kamela where it is posted on the fire danger board. (Umatilla Buckaroo)
August 1936: "Harold Hilary has been lookout on Tip Top since August 11th." (Umatilla Buckaroo)
September 1942: "Mrs. L.C. Morehead, the other half of the administrative force of the Northeast Oregon Forest Protective unit, has taken over the Tip Top lookout in the Meacham region on the Blue Mountains. In short time she will transfer to the newly constructed station on Mount Harris. Inability to secure men has made it necessary to recruit lookouts from the feminine sex. Other lookouts in this district will be taken over by women in the near future." (The Forest Log)
August 8, 1947: "Dear Mr. Ewing, Recently Mr. C.C. Curl purchased the land adjacent to Tip Top Lookout. He seems to believe that the land on which the tower stands belongs to him. Our tax roll shows that Mr. Curl owns all of Sec. 27 T1S R35E except one acre on which no ownership is shown. I thought perhaps that it might be the area where the tower stands and owned by the U.S. Forest Service. It would be appreciated if you could give any information to help clear this matter up. Yours very truly, L.M. Compton, District Warden, NE Oregon District." (Letter to Supervisor, Umatilla National Forest from District Warden)
1950's: Utilized as a combination fire observation and Ground Observer Corps station.
1957: "Recommendations: A new tower is needed to replace the one on Tip Top Lookout. The Indian Service will give the District the steel tower that is now at the Johnson Creek site. We would use about 50 foot of this tower. This would give the District a great deal more visibility." (Northeast Oregon District - Oregon Department of Forestry Annual Report - 1957)
1958: The District secured the steel tower lookout from the Indian Agency that was located on Johnson Creek and dismantled it and hauled it to LaGrande. The District plans to replace the Tip Top Lookout tower with this structure.
1959: The completion of the steel work on the Tip Top Lookout tower. All that remains to be done on the Tip Top tower is the assembling of the 14x14 cab. The parts for the cab have all been cut and as soon as the weather permits the work will be completed.
1960: The completion of the Tip Top Lookout and the construction of an 8x7 storage house under the tower. (1958,59,60 Annual Reports to the Oregon Department of Forestry)
2016: The lookout was dismantled. The tower portion moved to private land and re-erected with a new cab.