May 25, 1933: "Mr. Case has his telephone lines all repaired in the Fossil District and has the Rudeo Mountain line about completed." (P.S. King Field Report)
August 21, 1938: Panorama photos taken.
July 25, 1941: "James Lofton, fire warden, called out a number of men to fight a fire in the timber recently. The lookout is equipped with the latest in radio and local folks tune in short wave and listen to the two-way conversations between the lookout and Mr. Crawford at headquarters in Kimberly." (John Day Valley Ranger)
July 16, 1947: "On the first Mr. and Mrs. Frank Lynch moved to the Rudio lookout station." (John Day Valley Ranger)
1952: "New roof on tower cabin." (Central Oregon District Annual Report)
1956: "The Rudio tower had the guardrails painted, and the cabin had new linoleum laid on the floor." (Central Oregon District Annual Report)
1957: The tower cab was painted inside and out. (Central Oregon District Annual Report)
1958: The tower cab exterior was painted. Safety chains were installed on the catwalk for when the trap door is open.
1958: The Rudio Mountain telephone line has been temporarily abandoned because of logging in that area, and to date has not been replaced. If radio conditions improve this line may be abandoned permanently.
1958: The new dial up telephone system was installed in November.
1960: A broken window was replaced and the lookout was painted inside and out. Seven discoveries were reported from this station.
1961: The roof and exterior were painted. This station had six first reports.
1962: This station had no fire reports this season.
1963: Two fires were reported from this station.
1964: Three fires reported this season.
1966: "A small gas and oil house built. A gravity flow shower was installed. Trap door, railings, windows and screens repaired. Painted. Trees endangering the tower and buildings were felled with permission from Seneca Lumber Company." (East Central Oregon District Annual Report)
1968: "Rudio LO received new exterior paint and had its roof painted International orange to make it easier to spot from the air." (East Central Oregon District Annual Report)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - RUDIO MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT PID - QC0965 STATE/COUNTY- OR/GRANT COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - SHEEP RIDGE (1990) STATION DESCRIPTION
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1942 (LAM) STATION IS CENTER OF U.S.F.S. RUDIO MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT TOWER ON SUMMIT OF RUDIO RIDGE, ABOUT 9 MILES N AND 4.5 MILES E OF DAYVILLE, NEAR HEAD OF FRANKS CREEK. POINT MAY BE REACHED BY FOREST ROADS FROM JOHN DAY OR FOX VALLEY VIA BELSHAW MEADOWS. TRAVEL DIRECTIONS MAY BE SECURED FROM U.S. FOREST SERVICE AT JOHN DAY. STATION NOT PERMANENTLY MARKED.
NOTE.--THIS POSITION FIRST DETERMINED BY U.S.G.S. IN 1938. U.S.G.S. OBSERVATIONS WERE TAKEN FROM STATIONS RANGE, LONG AND BEECH ON A FLAG IN A TREE, AS TOWER WAS NOT YET BUILT. U.S.G.S. MADE REDUCTION OF ANGLES TO SITE OF PROPOSED TOWER FROM DATA FURNISHED BY FOREST SERVICE. COMPUTED POSITION OF TOWER BY U.S.G.S. MAKES VERY CLOSE CHECK ON POSITION DETERMINED BY U.S.F.S. IN 1939 ON LINES TO LONG, SIMMONS, AND BLACK BUTTE.