July 1, 1918: "The big steel lookout tower at Desolation Butte, was badly damaged during the heavy electric storm last Saturday and Sunday, and the telephones near there were also badly damaged, according to a telephone message from Fred Grooms, ranger. He says repair work will begin at once on both the lines and the tower." (East Oregonian)
July 22, 1918: "Granville Plant of Dale has been appointed fire lookout and has been stationed at Desolation lookout station." (East Oregonian)
August 28, 1918: "Mr. and Mrs. Granville Plant, who have been stationed at Desolation lookout station, were in town Saturday on business." (East Oregonian)
1923: A 50-foot steel Aermotor tower with a 7x7 steel cab was erected.
July 10, 1934: "The Whitman national forest plans to establish radio communication between Desolation Butte lookout station and one CCC road camp and one trail crew this summer, thus eliminating the necessity of stringing between seven and eight miles of emergency telephone wire." (Baker Democrat-Herald)
July 15, 1943: "Oscar Proffitt, Bessie Proffitt and children are now at the lookout at Desolation above Granite where they will be all summer." (The Democrat-Herald)
1961: A 67-foot treated timber tower with an R-6 flat roof cab was constructed.
August 19, 1996: "Thickets of dead trees--both standing and down--are feeding the Bull Fire, which threatens the fire lookout atop Desolation Butte." (Baker City Herald)
August 20, 1996: "Firefighters have protected the Olive Lake campground and the Desolation Lookout, but the blazes continue to threaten both, as well as the Donaldson mine south of the Summit Fire." (Baker City Herald)
August 21, 1996: "The Bull fire is endangering the U.S. Forest Service's lookout on Desolation Butte and the Desolation Guard Station. About 1,140 people from several agencies are working on the Bull complex. Other resources include 34 engines, eight helicopters and six bulldozers." (Baker City Herald)
The NGS Data Sheet
DESCRIBED BY US FOREST SERVICE 1936 THIS INTERSECTION STATION IS THE CENTER OF THE 50-FOOT STEEL LOOKOUT TOWER ON DESOLATION BUTTE, A HIGH POINT ON A LONG RIDGE, TO THE E OF DESOLATION CREEK AND ABOUT 10 MILES AIR LINE NE OF SUSANVILLE.
STATION RECOVERY (1938)
RECOVERY NOTE BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1938 STATION MARK IS A U.S.G.S. STANDARD DISK CEMENTED IN A BOULDER UNDER THE CENTER OF THE TOWER AND STAMPED DESOLATION 1938.
TWO U.S.G.S. REFERENCE DISKS WERE ESTABLISHED.
REFERENCE MARK NO.1 IS CEMENTED IN CONCRETE PIER AT NE CORNER OF LOOKOUT TOWER, 9.08 FEET DISTANT FROM STATION.
REFERENCE MARK NO.2 IS CEMENTED INTO NATIVE ROCK, 68.35 FEET E FROM STATION.
REACHED BY BRANCH ROAD OFF DALE-GRANITE ROAD.
U.S.F.S. POSITION OF THIS TOWER WAS NOT CHECKED BY U.S.G.S. WHICH HAS IT ABOUT 0.7 IN LESS IN LATITUDE.