June 23, 1950: "Chester Hall of the state fire patrol has moved back to this vicinity from McMinnville where the family was for the winter months. The family is now at Benson Lookout with an address of Star route. Anyone wishing burning permits may contact Mr. Hall at that address. The patrol is endeavoring to get phone service established to the lookout and will do so as soon as possible." (Clatskanie Chief)
Activated: March 10, 1942. Portland Filter Center.
May 13, 1942: "This post was visited on May 7th. The observers were Mr. and Mrs. George Jones. Improvements consist of a 12x16 ground cabin which is sealed in and otherwise winterized satisfactorily this spring. The stove is good and in addition an oil stove is provided. A 45-foot tower has a 7x7 cab on top. The cabin and grounds were neat and orderly. Additional sleeping quarters are needed and construction of a small room attached to the ground cabin was approved. Trees need topping to improve the view. This will be done this spring. This station is subjected to considerable vandalism each winter and with the point occupied during AWS this will be eliminated." (Inspection Report by W.N. Parke, AWS Inspector, to James Frankland, USFS Engineering)
1942: AWS construction consisted of a 20x24 woodshed and a 10x16 room added to the present house.
June 29, 1951: "Mr. and Mrs. Chester Hall arrived here Sunday from their home at McMinnville and immediately manned their old post at the Benson Look-out. There is no phone as yet at the Benson Look-out and those wanting to get in touch with the wardens can call Vernonia 11F3 or the State Board of Forestry, Forest Grove." (Clatskanie Chief)
1954: The lookout duties were transferred to the new lookout on Clatskanie Mountain.