1907: Established as the first fire lookout post in this section of the state.
August 22, 1912: "Deputy Warden McClure, in charge of the Calapooia and Middle and South Forks of the Santiam, writing on the same day, mentions two fires, one on Springer Hill in township 14 south, range 1 west, and one in township 14 south, range 3 east, which were caused by lightning. These two fires were not visible during the day, but were seen from hurricane deck lookout after dark, and the patrolman stationed at this point communicated with the patrolman in the valley by telephone, and the fires were extinguished. Almost daily the value of the lookout stations co-operating with the patrolman in the valleys below is being demonstrated." (The Morning Oregonian)
1919: A cupola style lookout house constructed.
September 30, 1921: "The high deck lookout on the Santiam national forest, four and one-half miles from Cascadia, had a unique way of getting his water packed up the mountain this summer, according to R.H. Chapler, forest examiner, who has just returned from the Santiam. The last spring was located on the trail below the cabin. A sign placed on the trail, 'If you expect a drink, bring some water,' and several buckets at the spring, resulted in a supply being carried up the mountain by visitors sufficient for all purposes. A total of 382 persons visited the lookout during July and August." (The Oregon Daily Journal)
July 9, 1931: "J.A. Duncan has moved up to High Deck Lookout for the summer." (The New Era)
August 20, 1931: "The Hill Fire Patrol answered a call in the Mountain Home district near Sodaville Wednesday and put out a fire before it had done any appreciable damage. The fire was reported from Hurricane Deck and Green Peter lookouts." (The New Era)
July 21, 1932:"Mr. Duncan went on the High Deck Lookout Sunday, for the season." (The New Era)
June 10, 1934: Panorama photos taken by Robert Cooper and Albert Arnst.
July 3, 1934: "We stopped and saw Mr. Nye and induced him to buy a new fire finder for High Deck. Mr. Nye is somewhat disturbed about the water situation for High Deck as the spring has gone dry and about the nearest water is Cascadia. He thinks that he will have to make arrangements for a pack horse to take water into his lookout." (P.S. King Field Report)
September 6, 1934: "Fay Miller, of Cascadia, who is keeper of the lookout station on Hurricane Deck, and in the employment of the Hill Fire Patrol, became very ill last evening and sent out a call for help. Rangers, Lynn Nye, Eugene Ellis and Orvil Nye went in and helped him out over the three mile trail to the road, where a waiting car took him to the Lebanon hospital." (The New Era)
May 1947: "Plans are under way at the present time for two new lookout buildings by the Linn County Fire Patrol association, according to District Warden M.E. Crawford. One is to replace the present structure on High Deck and the other is a new development in the Sodaville area. Mr. Crawford states that he hopes to get the work started some time this year and completed in time for the 1948 fire season. Incidentally High Deck is of considerable interest from the standpoint of fire protection in the state of Oregon. It was on this peak the late M.J. Nye, representative of the Hill interests in Linn county, established the first lookout in that section of the country in 1907. Nye had carried on forest protection in that area for a period of three years prior to this time and had financed and directed the first fire fighting crew in 1904." (The Forest Log)
November 25, 1947: "A new standard fire lookout house was constructed at Hi-Deck Lookout near Cascadia this fall and will be ready for business in 1948." (Albany Democrat-Herald)
November 1947: "M.E. Crawford, district warden for the Linn County Fire Patrol association, reports the completion of a new 14 x 14 lookout cabin on the summit of High Deck, one of the primary lookouts of his district and located about four miles north of Cascadia. All materials, including the sand, cement and gravel, was packed in a distance of two and one-half miles over a trail. Two pack strings of mules were loaned by the forest service for the work. High Deck bears the distinction of being the first lookout manned in that part of Oregon. The late M.J. Nye, agent for the Hill interests in Linn county for many years, organized fire protection in that area in 1904 and three years later established the lookout on High Deck. The station has been manned each year since that time." (The Forest Log)
1947: "A new 14 x 14 standard lookout house with full cement foundation and cat walk was constructed at High Deck LO. This was a much needed replacement job, as the old lookout was unusable. There was sufficient usable material in the old structure for cement forms and for the construction of the necessary outhouse facilities. The USFS cooperated by furnishing the mule pack outfits for transporting the material to the lookout site." "High Deck LO - 14 x 14 standard lookout, Section 16, T13S R1E, cost $2833.64." (Linn District Annual Report)
December 10, 1947: "A new cabin has been constructed on the summit of High Deck, site of the oldest lookout station in the central Cascades. High Deck lookout, established in 1907, is one of Linn County Fire Patrol Association's primary observation posts. Two pack strings of mules hauled building materials for the cabin over a rough four-mile trail north of Cascadia." (Eugene Register-Guard)
December 13, 1947: "The state forestry department has purchased 10 steel towers, used by the army during the war as airport observatories, which will be erected in various parts of the state. The towers, from 30 to 100 feet high are equipped with cabins. Towers have been put up already in central and northeast units and in Linn, Lincoln and Polk county fire patrol districts. A new cabin has been constructed on the summit of High Deck, site of the oldest lookout station in the central Cascades. High Deck lookout, established in 1907, is one of Linn county fire patrol association's primary observation posts. Two pack strings of mules hauled building materials for the cabin over a rough four-mile trail north of Cascadia..." (Albany Democrat-Herald)