1952: "A new 40 foot lookout tower was completed on Mule Mountain. This was quite a project and took the combined efforts of all of us to gather up the pieces the mules scattered hither and yon, on the first try." (Highlights - Willamette National Forest)
1952: A 41-foot timber tower with a L-4 model cab was erected on a site one mile to the southeast of the original lookout.
August 22, 1968: The lookout was disposed of by burning.
The NGS Data Sheet
DESCRIBED BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1955 LOCATED ABOUT 14 MI ENE. OF OAKRIDGE, 2 MI N. OF JCT. OF SALMON AND FURNISH CREEKS, 1.5 MI SE. OF MULE MTN. ON E.-W. RIDGE.
TO REACH FROM OAKRIDGE, DRIVE 9.3 MI E. AND NE. ON SALMON CREEK RD. TO RD. FORKS AT SIGN MULE MTN RD. TAKE LEFT FORK FOLLOWING MULE MTN RD. 4.9 MI TO RD. FORKS. TAKE LEFT FORK AS PER SIGN MULE CR SPUR 2.2 MI TO LOGGING UNIT NO. 15 AND END OF RD. FOLLOW MULE MTN. TRAIL WHICH TAKES OFF FROM SOUTHEAST SIDE OF LOGGED-OFF AREA ABOUT 2 MI TO JCT. WITH BLAIR LAKE TRAIL. KEEP RIGHT ABOUT 0.15 MI E. ON BLAIR LAKE TRAIL TO TRAIL FORKS. LEAVE BLAIR LAKE TRAIL AND TAKE RIGHT FORK 0.5 MI TO LOT AND STATION. A 1-1/4-HOUR PACK.