Siskiyou National Forest > Oregon Department of Forestry 34S-8W-21
February 13, 1914: "Peavine. Area 42.90 acres. This station was selected October 22, 1909. The entire area is fenced which cost $130.14 to construct. A small store house has also been constructed by the Forest Service. Some grass has been sown and there is a sufficient amount available for limited pasturage. The station is now being used as a lookout station being connected by telephone. It is planned to use the area as an intermediate or temporary headquarters. No water has been appropriated. The area has not been applied for under the Act of June 11, 1906." (L Siskiyou Stations, Peavine)
August 1914: "C.F. Allen at Peavine has erected a sort of tower at his lookout, this affords a much better view." (The Siskiyou Bulletin)
1915: "J.F. Campbell is first mentioned as lookout on Peavine Mountain." (Historical Study of the Siskiyou National Forest, January 1939)
June 1923: "Mr. Haefner (Forest Examiner) went on up to Peavine Mountain in the evening to straighten out our lookout location there." (The Siskiyou Bulletin)
1934: A 40-foot round timber tower with an R-1 style lookout cab was constructed.
May 1940: "According to the records this point registers the driest fuel moistires of all points sampled on the district -- 90% of all July and August days in past three years have had fuel moistures between 3% and8%. This position in the past years has been one of the earliest used. The suggested opening date might well be set back 10 to 15 days, since in 1939 this point was in use on April 26. It has excellent seen area and covers considerable amounts of high hazard fuels." (Plans, Guard Placement, Siskiyou National Forest)
1941: The lookout was staffed 120 days and reported to the Rand Ranger Station.
Activated: March 10, 1943; Deactivated: October 16, 1943. Roseburg Filter Center.
October 16, 1943: AWS Station 'Nan 1-5' was placed on the inactivated list. Recommendation to retain the station. No AWS improvements were involved. (Report of Aircraft Warning Service Stations, May 1, 1944)
1961: A new laminated timber tower with a 14x14 flat roof cab was constructed at a new location on the ridge by the State Department of Forestry.