1933: Tom Scanlon, lookout, is established at a tent camp lookout.
August 8, 1933: "Clearing on the Shivigny mountain trail is progressing satisfactorily with a crew of ten men on the job. It is planned to push this work as rapidly as possible so that the material for construction of a new lookout house on Thunder mountain may be packed in over it." (Roseburg News-Review)
August 10, 1933: Panorama photos taken by Cooper and Sarlin.
September 1, 1933: "Material for the construction of the Shivigny mountain lookout are being packed in this week." (Roseburg News-Review)
September 14, 1933: "A 14 x 14 lookout is to be constructed by the CCC before the snow flies." (Roseburg Chieftain)
September 21, 1933: "A CCC crew from Wolf Creek camp is still encamped on the side of Shivigny Mountain where they are working at the upper end of the new trail from Little River. They expect to meet a crew working from the lower side this week after which they will improve the upper end of the trail just below the camp, and then improve the trail leading from there to Thunder Mountain. Additional men will be sent up this week to start work on a 10 x 10 lookout on the site of the temporary tent lookout at the north side of Shivigny Mountain, which overlooks the North Umpqua River region." (Roseburg News-Review)
October 23, 1933: "All exterior work on the forest service lookout on Shivigny mountain has been completed but work on the interior will be postponed until next summer." (Roseburg News-Review)
1937: A woodshed constructed at a cost of $20.00.
September 9, 1939: "Dale Harvey, who is stationed as a lookout on Shivney butte up Little river, was home for the weekend." (Roseburg News-Review)
1948: "Buildings constructed: Shivigny Lookout - T34S R2W sec 27 - cost $2746.00. 54 foot steel tower with a 14 x 14 cabin." (Douglas FPA - Oregon Department of Forestry Annual Report - 1948)
July 1, 1949: "Thirty-six lookouts are taking their places on the Umpqua National Forest this week, to keep watch against forest fires during the summer. A new steel lookout tower on Mt. Chivigny is being manned this year for the first time The tower, 54 feet high, was erected by the Douglas Forest Protective Association, but is being manned by U.S. Forest Service lookouts because it overlooks a large area of national forest timber on the Little River-North Umpqua divide. Ray B. Hampton, fire control officer of the Umpqua National Forest, said the tower was obtained by the state forester's office from a former bombing range in Idaho, where it was used in airplane control work. It was erected here under supervision of Fred L. Southwick, district warden of the Douglas Forest Protective Association. On top of the tower is a 14x14-foot house, to be occupied this summer by Arthur Rankin, lookout for the North Umpqua Ranger District under Ranger George Churchill." (Roseburg News-Review)
1977: After the end of fire season the lookout discontinued
1978: The lookout dismantled in the fall and re-erected at Baughman Point the next season.