c.1921: The lookout was established in a tree with the observer 25 feet above the ground.
1928: A standard D-6 cupola style lookout cabin constructed.
June 17, 1930: "Active preparations for the summer fire season on the Umpqua national forest are now being made. H.P. Looney, lookout on Red mountain, which commands a view of the South Umpqua district, is already at his station, being the first of the lookouts assigned to duty. Others will go to their stations between the present time and the first of July." (Roseburg News-Review)
September 5, 1931: "H.P. Looney, forest service lookout at Red Mountain, reported today the unusual occurrence of seeing a family of wolves, a male and female and five half grown pups. Hunters say that it is very unusual to see a wolf in the woods, as they usually are able to avoid being seen, unless cornered by dags. He believes that the pups were being taught to hunt, judging from the actions of the group. They spent considerable time on the divide, and he was able to reach the lookout station and procure a gun, with which he killed the male and one of the pups." (Roseburg News-Review)
April 1932: "On or about September 1, our lookout, Henry Looney, on Red Mt., while taking a look around, saw 7 wolves; the old ones and 5 pups. He made a hurried dash for his gun, took a shot at the big one, and one shot was plenty. In a few minutes more Mr. Looney called the telephone operator at Tiller and said, 'Humidity 43, and I killed another wolf.' There is a bounty on wolves. This proves to all of us that there are still a few wolves left, and it furnished some unexpected excitement for Looney and all the folks along the telephone line that day. P.S. Pieper" (Six Twenty-Six)
August 16, 1933: Panorama photos were taken by Moe and Rittenhouse.
March 20, 1934: "Red Mountain lookout is located in the Cow Creek district, six miles from Devils Flat CCC camp." (Roseburg News-Review)
August 4, 1962: "Charles Young resides in Roseburg. He is a physical education major at Clark Junior College in Vancouver, Wash." (The News-Review)
1985: The lookout building was moved to the Tiller Ranger Station, where it is on display.