1914: This site was first used as an emergency lookout with a compass.
c.1925: The lookout was stationed atop a 50-foot tree.
July 20, 1932: "Nine new lookout houses are to be built at an estimated cost of $5,300. [One of] these lookout will be built on Collins lookout on the divide between Jackson creek and the South Umpqua." (Roseburg News-Review)
August 19, 1932: "This area will be used for a lookout fireman's station and pasture for the fireman's two horses. Government pack horses will also be held here over night on many occasions. It is our present plan to construct a 14 x 14 glass ribbed house at this point for the use of the lookout fireman. A temporary station now exists at this location. This area is near the forks of the Acker Divide Trail, and is an ideal location for an over night stopping place for Forest Officers. The tract is only accessible to the public by horseback or foot travel six miles to the nearest road. This area is one of key lookout fireman stations located in an area of high hazard, and is particularly valuable in location and control of incendiary fires for which this locality is noted. There now exists a telephone line from the highest point on the tract to Tiller Ranger Station, which connects with our entire communication system. The two nearest stations now in use are Dumont Guard Station, 6 miles east by trail, and South Umpqua Falls Guard Station, 7 miles North by trail. Tiller Ranger Station is twelve miles distance, 6 miles by trail and 6 miles by Forest Service road." (L Administrative Site, Umpqua Collins Guard Station)
1933: An L-4 lookout house was constructed.
August 17, 1933: Panorama photos were taken by Rittenhouse.
September 3, 1941: "Chester Morgan, son of Ira F. Morgan of Glide, who has been forest service lookout on Collins butte during the past season, received word this morning that he had won a contest in a national radio contest, sponsored by the National Broadcasting company. Chester plans to leave Roseburg next week to enter school at Bethany Penil college at Oklahoma City." (Roseburg News-Review)
c.1954: A new lookout tower and cab were erected.