September 14, 1933: "A 10 x 10 lookout is to be constructed by the CCC before the snow flies. The 10 x 10 is the standard size of a secondary lookout." (Roseburg Chieftain)
1934: A 25-foot round timber tower with an L-5 cab constructed.
1934: A CCC crew conducted a visibility clearing project on Pickett Butte. (Reminiscences of John Montgomery, 1992)
August 7, 1936: Panorama photos were taken by James Rittenhouse.
September 29, 1939: "John Hutchinson returned to the Pickett butte lookout Monday evening after having spent the day in Roseburg attending to business matters." (Roseburg News-Review)
September 17, 1940: "John Hutchinson, who is stationed at the Pickett Butte lookout, came home Friday evening for a short visit. Saturday he went to Roseburg to attend to business matters." (Roseburg News-Review)
July 15, 1941: "John Hutchinson, who is stationed at Pickett Butte, was host to a large group including his parents." (The News-Review)
August 5, 1941: "Mr. and Mrs. Walter Hutchinson and daughter, Miss Wiletha, visited Sunday at the Pickett Butte look-out where John Hutchinson is stationed." (The News-Review)
July 9, 1942: "George Marsh is now located on Pickett Butte where he will serve as a lookout in the forest service during the summer." (Roseburg News-Review)
September 24, 1942: "George Marsh came home Saturday from Pickett Butte where he has been stationed as a lookout in the forest service during the summer." (Roseburg News-Review)
1948: A 41-foot treated timber tower with an L-4 cab erected. The tower constructed with 8 x 8 square Douglas fir timbers, these are spliced with steel plates. The cross bracing is of pressure treated 3" x 8" Douglas fir, arranged in an "X" pattern every ten feet. The tower is anchored using 5/8 inch steel cable.
September 30, 1961: "Leaving recently to continue their studies at the University of Mexico in Mexico City were Mr. and Mrs. Werner Leibold who spent the summer at Pickett Butte Lookout northeast of Tiller where Mrs. Leibold was employed as fire lookout by the Cow Creek Ranger District. The Leibolds are both enrolled in medical courses at the university, which they also attended last year. Charles Young of Roseburg, previously stationed at the Red Mountain Lookout in the southern part of the Cow Creek District near the Josephine County line, has been moved to Pickett Butte for the remainder of the season." (The News-Review)
August 4, 1962: "Verner Leibold of West Germany and his American wife are serving their second year at Pickett Butte, Liebold is a medical student. Both attend the Universitada Autonoma de Guadalajara (medical branch of the University of Mexico.)" (The News-Review)
1983: The original shutters replaced with shutters made of fiberglass. Also a new floor and catwalk installed
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - PICKETT BUTTE LOT PID - NZ1175 STATE/COUNTY- OR/DOUGLAS COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - PICKETT BUTTE (1989)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1953 (CTH) THE STATION IS A U.S. FOREST SERVICE FIRE LOOKOUT TOWER. IT IS A SQUARE WOODEN HOUSE ON TOP OF A WOOD SKELETON FRAME WORK. IT IS 50 FEET HIGH, AND IS ON TOP OF PICKETT BUTTE.