Crater National Forest > Rogue River National Forest 32S-1W-24
1914: An alidade established.
July 8, 1914: "Telephone lines built by the forest service this spring are now in operation, covering twenty-two miles, as follows: Fifteen miles on Elk Creek to the Umpqua Divide, two and one-half miles from Butte Falls to Santiam lookout, and four miles from Wagner's Butte to Long's cabin. Rangers for lookout stations were sent out the first of the month." (Medford Mail Tribune)
August 17, 1914: "John Winningham, Trail; Alco Rock lookout; phone, Trail or Prospect exchange." (Ashland Tidings)
1916: "A water tank has been installed on Alco Rock lookout, but it has been found necessary for the district ranger to go up and fill it with snow repeatedly. He reported on April 8, 1916, that he had filled it for the last time, that the snow had nearly disappeared from the ground, and that the water in the tank was very palatable."(The Fire Lookout System on the Crater National Forest by Harold D. Foster)