July 1936: "In July a secondary fire danger station was set up. These stations gathered information on fuel inflammability, wind direction and velocity. This data was telephoned into Kamela three times daily where it was shown on a Fire Danger Board." (Umatilla Buckaroo)
1941: A 24-foot round timber tower with an L-4 cab was constructed.
January 17, 1949: "A fire reorganization study was made of the Pendleton District and as a result, High Ridge Lookout was changed from a Primary Lookout to a Lookout Fireman position." (Pendleton Ranger District Annual Report)
1955: "Some recommendations have been made in the past to discontinue the use of lookout towers because of their age and assumed unsafe conditions. Such advice by 'experts' should be made more carefully so as to avoid unnecessary expense and mental duress. A case in point is the High Ridge lookout tower." (General Integrating Inspection, 1955)
1957: "It was necessary to add two false legs to the old High Ridge tower in order to hold it in the air until a replacement can be erected." (Umatilla National Forest files)
1958: "During the 1959 season a new tower and house will be built at High Ridge." (Umatilla National Forest files)
1959: "Construction of High Ridge lookout tower was delayed due to contract difficulties and is planned for 1960." (Umatilla National Forest files)
2006: Over the 4th of July weekend vandals broke into the lookout and caused significant damage.
The NGS Data Sheet
DESCRIBED BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1963 (JCC) THE STATION IS ABOUT 18 MILES SOUTHEAST OF WESTON, 12 MILES NORTHWEST OF ELGIN AND 6-1/2 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF TOLLGATE.
THE STATION IS A USGS BRONZE DISK, STAMPED HIGH RIDGE LOT 1960, SET IN AN IRREGULAR MASS OF CONCRETE PROJECTING 1 INCH.
THE POINT OBSERVED WAS THE TOP CENTER OF THE LOOKOUT TOWER, HOWEVER THE MARK IS IN THE DETERMINED CENTER OF THE BASE OF THE LOOKOUT TOWER.
THE TOWER IS CONSTRUCTED OF WOOD AND HAS A STAIRWAY IN THE CENTER OF THE FOUR LEGS. IT IS PAINTED WHITE AND IS 100 FEET IN HEIGHT.