May 16, 1938: "One new lookout station will be established this year in the territory of Coos Fire patrol, District Warden Keith Young announced today. This new lookout will be at Bill's peak, eight miles southeast of Bandon, in territory being newly logged this year. This section has been hard to watch from existing stations in the past, Young said. The lookout will be stationed in a ground cabin. One new man will be added to the patrol staff as a result of this extension. A road is now being built to the lookout cabin site and a telephone line is being put up." (The Coos Bay Times)
1938: "The Camp McKinley CCC built a new standard lookout cabin on Bill's Butte in the Bandon district." (Oregon Department of Forestry Annual Report - 1938)
July 27, 1939: "Coos Fire Patrol lookout station on Bill's Butte, 10 miles southeast of Bandon was manned today by Ned Baker of Marshfield. This is the only lookout assignment of the week, according to Keith Young district warden." (The Coos Bay Times)
June 2, 1942: "Sorry for the long delay in answering your letter but I had a quite a bit of trouble in getting the information from Mr. MacGougan. Mr. MacGougan thinks that they can put the Bill's Butte line on the 1-R-4 line as they only have eight subscribers -- we think that set-up will be satisfactory so we're going to give it a try. By the way, they're hooking the phone here at headquarters directly to long distance so that should speed up the service considerably." (Letter to Wm. Parks, USFS Engineering from the Secretary/Warden, Coos County FPA)
Activated: March 9, 1942. Roseburg Filter Center.
September 11, 1942: A report by W.N. Parke, AWS Inspector, indicated that construction of a 10x12 sleeping quarters, sealed and double walled had been started.
February 25, 1944: "The past several AWS inspection reports for Bill's Butte O.P. mention that the road is impassable in a few spots in the winter. It would probably be desirable to make a study of the gravelling and other maintenance work needed on this road this spring. At least we would like to have an estimate of the work needed, together with an estimate of the costs." (E (V) Supervision - State of Oregon A.W.S.)
May 1, 1944: Aircraft Warning Service Station 'George 4-7' utilized the existing structures owned by the State of Oregon. The AWS added a 10 x 12 living quarters to the improvements. After the service was discontinued the site reverted back to the State. (from the Report of AWS Stations)
September 28, 1948: "Mary Olive Ward returned to Marshfield high school Monday after spending the summer at Bandon and with her mother, Mrs. Lois Lacey, who has returned to the bay after being in charge of Bill's Butte fire lookout station near Bandon during the fire season." (The Coos Bay Times)
1948: The lookout was staffed full time and staffing costs were $561.00
May 8, 1959: "Theresa Ackerman, daughter of the Homer Ackermans of Bandon, was awarded one of the two $50 sophomore scholarships at Mt. Angel college, Mt. Angel, Ore. Theresa has been active in the choral and dramatic clubs at her school. She plans to be a lookout this summer for the Coos Forest Patrol. Last year she was stationed at Bill's Butte lookout in Coos county." (The World)
April 6, 1961: "Capital outlay included funds for completing the crewhouse at the new Gold Beach headquarters and erection of the new lookout tower on Bill's Butte, southeast of Bandon." (The World)
1961: "Bill's Butte lookout was torn down after the close of fire season. It is planned to replace this unit in the spring of 1962." (Coos District Annual Report)
1962: "A new 14 x 14 lookout ground house was constructed on Bill's Butte at a total cost of $3, 469. (Coos District Annual Report)
September 24, 1965: "The Bills Butte lookout, which has not been in use for two years, has been reactivated. The Bills Butte lookout is located near the head of the Twomile and Fourmile Creeks area southeast of Bandon and overlooks the section where a number of incendiary fires have been reported." (The World)
1974: The lookout inventory shows the lookout as a secondary observation point.
March 1977: The lookout was classified as a secondary lookout.