September 2, 1921: "A new fire lookout station will be placed on Fugai mountain next year, states H. E. Vincent, assistant supervisor of the Cascade National forest, who returned to the office here after several weeks spent in Oakridge district today. Mr. Vincent has recently located the position for the lookout station and a telephone line is being built from McCredeie springs to the mountain at the present time. About five miles of the line has been completed on Salt creek, he states." (The Eugene Daily Guard)
September 3, 1921: "A national forest crew is at work on a new telephone line from McCredie springs, 60 miles southeast of Eugene, to the top of Fugi mountain, 17 or 18 miles distant, according to H.E. Vincent, assistant supervisor of the Cascade forest, who has just returned to Eugene. It is proposed to establish a new lookout station on top of Fugi, and if the weather is favorable it is expected to finish the line this fall." (The Morning Oregonian)
October 2, 1923: "Edgar Buchanan, son of Dr. and Mrs. W.E. Buchanan of this city, returned yesterday from his summer's work in the forestry service. He was lookout on Mt. Fuji in the Cascades. He left this morning for Portland, where he will enter the Portland Dental college as a freshman." (The Eugene Daily Guard)
June 21, 1926: An announcement was made that a lookout building was soon to be constructed.
July 31, 1926: "Mason Warner left a few days ago for Fugi mountain, six miles from Salt creek falls, to start work on the lookout house there." (Morning Register)
August 13, 1926: "Another station is being built at Fuji mountain, up Salt creek, which will be completed in another week. Mason Warner of Eugene is doing the construction work." (The Eugene Guard)
September 13, 1926: "Two lookout houses, on Fugi mountain and Loggers' butte have been erected. A new lightning protection system of ground wires from the center of the peaked roof has been installed in all lookout houses. These houses have also been equipped with kerosene stoves." (The Eugene Guard)
January 7, 1927: "Two lookout houses of standard construction were built. One was placed on Fuji mountain." (Corvallis Gazette-Times)
January 1927: " The following data submitted by Ranger McFarland covers the packing of a standard lookout house erected on Mt. Fuji during the past season: Length of pack 5 miles Max. grade 50%. 0 to 10% 3 miles. 10% and over 2 miles 8 head of pack stock used. 2 men, 6 days. 45 horse loads. Max. load 190 lbs. Min. load 130 lbs. Average load 155 lbs. Cost of packing $125.95 Condition of stock at end of job. Good." (Six Twenty-Six)
September 3, 1933: Panorama photos taken by James Rittenhouse.
July 2, 1934: "Orlo Flock left Wednesday for Gold Lake from where he will go his summer lookout station on Fuji mountain." (The Eugene Register-Guard)
1935: "The question was brought up as to whether the lightning protection on old lookout houses which will be replaced within five years should be brought up to standard. Fuji Mountain is an example. I believe this is a matter of policy which should be settled." (General Inspection, 1935)
1959: An R-6 flat roof lookout house was built.
August 26, 1968: The lookout house was removed.
The NGS Data Sheet
DESCRIBED BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1955 LOCATED ABOUT 18.5 MI ESE. OF OAKRIDGE, 12.5 MI NW. OF TOWN OF CRESCENT LAKE, 3.5 MI WNW. OF GOLD LAKE GUARD STATION, 24 FT. E. OF FUJI MT. LOH, 2 FT. LOWER THAN HIGHEST PART OF TOP. ON FUJI MT.
TO REACH FROM BRIDGE ACROSS SALMON CREEK ON STATE HWY. 58 AT EAST END OF OAKRIDGE, DRIVE 25.9 MI E. ON STATE HWY. 58 TO DIRT RD. LEFT AND SIGN GOLD LAKE 2 MILES. TAKE LEFT TURN 2 MI TO GOLD LAKE GUARD STATION AND END OF RD. TAKE GOLD LAKE TRAIL NE. ABOUT 0.4 MI TO TRAIL FORKS AND SIGN ISLAND LAKE WAY TRAIL. TAKE LEFT FORK 3 MI TO TRAIL FORKS AND SIGN WALDO LAKE TRAIL. TAKE RIGHT FORK ABOUT 0.2 MI TO TRAIL FORKS AND SIGN FUJI MT. LO 1/2 MILE. TAKE LEFT FORK TO LOH AND STATION.