Oregon Department of Forestry Clackamas-Marion FPA 9S-4E-14
June 5, 1934: Panorama photos taken by Robert Cooper.
October 10, 1935: "New, glass-enclosed lookout stations will be constructed in the Willamette national forest this fall, according to Roy Elliott, assistant supervisor. Two of the stations will be located in the Detroit district, at Rocky Top and Coffin Mountain." (The Eugene Register-Guard)
c.1936: An L-4 model lookout house constructed.
September 28, 1950: "Arnold Sipe, a forest service lookout who has been stationed at Rocky Top lookout, came down to civilization last week for the first time this year. The recent rain enabled him to receive permission to leave his post, and the fact that he wanted to renew his car license was his incentive. Arnold, an ex-service man, enjoys his solitary outpost. Four months atop a mountain with no companion but a dog is his idea of good employment. He is to be transferred soon to House Mountain Rock, which he declares is 'too thickly populated,' because occasionally someone comes up to view the lookout. Being a forest lookout is not a new experience for Sipe, who was stationed on Rocky Top last year. For provisions, he radios out. They are then brought up by the fire warden, Keith Phillips, to the end of the road. From the road to the lookout is a one mile hike--up. A dog of mixed heritage, named Rat, shares his solitary vigil with his master, and has acquired a number of tricks in the months of confinement." (The Oregon Statesman)
October 19, 1950: "Forest service officials as well as private individuals have complained of the destructiveness of some sportsmen. Rocky Top lookout, which is federal property and padlocked, was entered by a group of local hunters, who found it a convenient and dry camp. This is the second year that this lookout has been used by deer hunters. Still remembered by forest representatives, was the fact that dry wood stored in the lookout was used freely last year. The wood was carried up hill a quarter mile in armloads by Arnold Sipe, the lookout. Pack rats had also entered the hole made by the intruders and caused considerable damage. Keith Phillips, fire warden states that lookout stations are state and federal property, not to be used except in case of emergency." (The Oregon Statesman)
c.1964: The lookout removed.
National Geodetic Survey
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1947 (WRH) THE LOOKOUT HOUSE IS LOCATED ABOUT 9 MILES AIRLINE EAST AND 2-1/2 MILES NORTH OF MILL CITY, ON THE HIGHEST POINT OF ROCKY TOP MOUNTAIN.
THE LOOKOUT HOUSE IS A LOW, ONE STORY BUILDING WITH A POINTED ROOF.
LOCATED BY DISTANCE AND DIRECTION.
STATION RECOVERY (1960)
RECOVERY NOTE BY US ARMY MAP SERVICE (NOW DMA) 1960 THE STATION WAS RECOVERED AS DESCRIBED AND FOUND IN GOOD CONDITION.