August 8, 1932: "The Clover Ridge forest road which leaves the Oregon Coast highway 10 miles north of Florence and will extend to Cape mountain is progressing rapidly and will probably be finished about the middle of the month, according to R.S. Shelley, supervisor of the Siuslaw national forest. The crew has built the road to within a mile of the mountain. A lookout station will be built on Cape mountain when the road is completed." (The Eugene Guard)
August 12, 1932: “The new forest road to Cape mountain will be completed within a short time. This road takes off from the road which was built to the state quarry, nine miles north of Florence. A lookout station will be built on Cape mountain when the road is completed.” (Siuslaw Oar)
1933: An L-4 ground house was constructed.
July 11, 1933: "Mr. and Mrs. R.W. Hoberg are stationed at the ranger cabin on Old Baldy for the summer. This lookout is located about 10 miles north of Florence near Dry lake. Mr. Hoberg's nephew, Billy, is with them." (The Eugene Guard)
September 29, 1933: “Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Hoberg have moved into their home on the highway north of Florence from the ranger station on Old Baldy.” (Siuslaw Oar)
February 13, 1934: Panorama photos taken by Hoagland.
April 19, 1935: “As a precaution to protect against early fires in a hazardous district Floyd Fisk, look-out on Prairie mountain, has been transferred to Cape mountain, according to a wire from Ed Kerby this morning.” (Siuslaw Oar)
May 17, 1935: “Donald Johnson left for the Cape mountain lookout station Tuesday.” (Siuslaw Oar)
June 28, 1935: “Theodore Morse and Wayne Johnson are spending the week with Donald Johnson at Cape Mountain Lookout station.” (Siuslaw Oar)
May 15, 1936: “Mr. and Mrs. Donald Johnson left the first of the week for Cape Mountain lookout station.” (Siuslaw Oar)
Activated: March 12, 1942. Eugene Filter Center.
1941: Mr. Harvey Welty, the Mapleton district forest ranger has been appointed to organize airplane observation posts. Cape mountain, one of the posts established.
July 11, 1943: "Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Ready have resigned their positions at the Cape Mountain forestry lookout station, being relieved by Mr. and Mrs. Walter Dennis of Clatskanie. The Readys will go to their ranch near Sibaco." (The Eugene Guard)
1951: The lookout house was removed from the site. According to Pat Lake of Florence, in an interview in the early 1980’s. The building was moved to a private site on Heceta Beach Road north of Florence.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - CAPE MOUNTAIN LOH PID - QE2601 STATE/COUNTY- OR/LANE COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - MERCER LAKE (1984)
DESCRIBED BY US FOREST SERVICE 1936 THIS UNCHECKED STATION IS CENTER OF U.S. FOREST SERVICE LOOKOUT HOUSE ON HIGHEST POINT OF CAPE MOUNTAIN.