July 10, 1936: "Unusual interest is being evinced in the trip to House Mountain rock this summer. The new forest road up from the Elkhorn road has made it possible to drive within a few feet of the high rock, from the summit of which one can see for miles over the Cascades. At one time there was quite a large lake bed at the foot of the mountain. Early settlers would hike into the lake and fish. A few years ago one side of the big rock crumbled and slid into the lake, filling it up so there is no water there now. The lake probably contained about four acres. A few hundred yards from the edge of the cliff is a new ranger station and house. The look-out tower is 90 feet high. The station has never been occupied, but will be as soon as the fire season commences this summer." (The Oregon Statesman)
July 24, 1936: "At the top of this mountainous rock is a lookout tower and a small cabin in which the ranger lives during the summer. An abundance of flowers and shrubs gives it the appearance of a natural rock garden. The lookout tower is 90 feet high. From the top such mountain peaks as Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Hood, Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Washington, Three Sisters, Monument Peak, and Coffin Mountain are visible." (The Oregon Statesman)
1937: An 82-foot timber tower with an L-6 cab was constructed.
July 14, 1940: "Clayton Wiggins, son of Mr. and Mrs. E.E. Wiggins, route seven, has left for House mountain, where he is stationed for his second year at the lookout station." (The Oregon Statesman)
June 14, 1952: "A lookout, Mrs. Clifford Johnson, was stationed on House mountain the past week end, which is somewhat earlier than usual." (The Oregon Statesman)