May 27, 1934: Panorama photos taken by Robert Cooper.
1935: A 10 x 10 L-5 lookout house constructed by the CCC.
July 26, 1944: "Jimmie Poole and Keith Grimes, Mill City high school boys, are working for the forestry department this summer. Poole serves on Dome Rock lookout and Grimes serves on Slate Rock lookout. The boys will not be out again until school starts." (Daily Capital Journal)
August 2, 1944: "In Salem on business recently were Frank Smith and Lee Morris. Smith had a 48-hour leave from the forestry camp located just above Detroit, of which he is in charge this summer. On his trip out from camp he was accompanied by Keith Morris, who is in the camp now, having been relieved from the Slate Rock lookout where he has been for some time." (Daily Capital Journal)
The NGS Data Sheet
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1947 (WRH) LOCATED BY INTERSECTION.
THE LOOKOUT HOUSE IS LOCATED ABOUT 8 MILES AIRLINE SOUTHWEST OF DETROIT, 23 MILES WEST OF MT JEFFERSON, ON A LOW, LONG, TIMBER COVERED RIDGE.
THE LOOKOUT HOUSE IS A LOW, ONE STORY BUILDING WITH A POINTED ROOF.