May 13, 1913: "A lookout is stationed on Robinson Butte and can see over a large part of the district." (District Fire, Fire Plan - History of the Rogue River National Forest, Vol. 1 - Carroll E. Brown)
1916: "Robinson Butte lookout covers country that no other peak could command. There seems to be no doubt that this lookout should be retained permanently. When improved by construction of a tower, or at least a crow's nest, it will be an admirable station. Robinson Butte is a flat-topped mountain which requires some improvement to get the best results. The observer has to use three main points of observation. The map board is on the highest point of the lookout, but the 'phone is not. Even were a tower erected, some one hundred trees would have to be felled to get an unobstructed view. These trees are mostly white fir and Shasta fir averaging perhaps 22 inches diameter breast high. There is a Douglas fir tree 38 inches D.B.H. on the top that could be used as a lookout tree and in which a crow's nest could be built 88 feet from the ground. In fact there are three trees any one of which would be suitable for the purpose. To build a crow's nest, brace the tree, and supply a ladder or other means of ascent would cost less than a tower of the required height and probably serve for several years. The nearest available water is at Big Elk Ranger Station, at the base of the mountain two or three miles distant." (The Fire Lookout System on the Crater National Forest, Harold D. Foster, 1916)
September 27, 1932: "A lookout house is being constructed on Robinson Butte, in the Dead Indian district." (Medford Mail Tribune)
September 12, 1933: "The Moon Prairie CCC boys have completed the fireman's garage at Robinson Butte." (Medford Mail Tribune)
November 6, 1933: "Mr. and Mrs. Ben Zimmer and daughter Joan, have returned to Elk creek for the winter. They have been stationed on the Robinson Butte lookout all summer. At present they are residing at the Matthews cabin. (Medford Mail Tribune)
May 14, 1934: "CCC men from the South Fork of the Rogue camp will be sent to Robinson Butte in the Dead Indian District to act as lookouts." (Medford Mail Tribune)
July 23, 1935: "Officials reported today that during the height of the storm Sunday night Mrs. Herb Wright, wife of the lookout fireman stationed at Robinson Butte, was temporarily stunned by a bolt of lightning that struck a short distance from her. She was attending a forest service telephone while her husband was at work on a nearby fire. Robinson Butte is located two miles southwest of Fish lake." (Medford Mail Tribune)
August 12, 1936: Panorama photos taken.
July 24, 1941: "One little digger squirrel early this morning took on two rabbits in a spirited fight and licked 'em both, Walter Radcliffe, a lookout at Robinson Butte in the Lake O' Woods district of Rogue River national forest reported today. Radcliffe, perched at a vantage point in his lookout station, witnessed the fight. The scrap was vicious while it lasted but before long the rabbits took to their heels and ran, he declared." (Medford Mail Tribune)
August 27, 1943: "Roy Kephart, a junior at KUHS, has returned to his home on Eldorado street, after spending the summer on Robinson Butte in the Rogue River National Forest." (Herald and News)
June 20, 1950: "Mrs. Harold Thomas and children of Ashland and Mrs. June Oliver from St. Paul, Minn., visited Tuesday at the home of Mrs. Leslie Casey. Mrs., Oliver's husband is going to work on Robinson Butte this summer. He is with the forest service." (Medford Mail Tribune)
February 28, 1973: "Our construction needs for the Ashland Ranger District are as follows: FY 1974, Priority one, New lookout (Robinson Butte) 50' to 60' high. Either treated wood or steel structure." (Letter to Forest Supervisor from District Ranger)
1974: A 53'3" treated timber tower with an 15'8"x15'8" R-6 flat roof cab trucked from Blue Rock Lookout and erected as a replacement for the old Robinson Butte tower.
2016: After being staffed for several years by the South West Oregon District of the Oregon Department of Forestry, the tower failed an inspection, the staff pulled off the tower and a condemned sign posted across the stairs and the steps removed from the first set.