Western Lane Forest Protective Association, ODF 14S-6W-7
1938: Western Lane FPA noted on their 1938 Annual Report that a lookout structure was needed at this point.
March 1942: "District Warden Ray Oglesby, of the Western Lane County Fire Patrol Association, reports that considerable improvement work is being carried out since his organization secured a new International TD9 tractor, equipped with bulldozer and winch. The first job was the completion of two and one-half miles of road to the Green Peak lookout which is located six miles west of Monroe. Oglesby reports that he will build a temporary 30-foot tower on the site immediately in order that it can be placed in commission during the coming fire season. Since this station is also centrally located it is probable that an emergency fire crew will also be located there." (The Forest Log)
August 1942: "Construction of a cabin has also been completed on Green Peak lookout west of Monroe. The cabin which is 18 x 28 feet, was constructed of shakes and split boards worked out at the Veneta headquarters. It is sufficiently large to accommodate the five man emergency crew which is stationed at the peak." (The Forest Log)
1942: A shed was constructed at a cost of $150.44.
May 16, 1947: "Summary of fires and work accomplished on the newly created Polk-Benton district during the 1946 season was released today by the office of the district warden at Dallas. Four lookouts and four guard stations were repaired and painted two or more coats. Major jobs of remodeling and repair were accomplished at Green Peak lookout in Benton county and at Camp Arboretum on two residences and the sub-headquarters office." (Corvallis Gazette-Times)
August 15, 1947: "Green Peak State Forestry Lookout short wave radio was stolen Sunday night from the lookout tower while Anthony Kelly, lookout, slept in the cabin some 300 yards away. The vandals gained entrance to the tower through a window. State police and state forestry officials investigating the crime found sufficient finger prints, tire tracks and other clues which may lead to an early arrest. Loss of the two-way radio, the only means of communication with the lookout, has seriously jeopardized the surrounding area for lookout coverage and fire reports. The small portable radio is plainly marked by the state forestry department and is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission. Misuse and tampering with such radios becomes a federal offense with heavy penalties in federal courts. Should the radio be abandoned by the thieves, or any information regarding it, report should be made immediately to the state forestry office, Dallas 222, collect, or the state police." (Corvallis Gazette-Times)
December 1948: "A modified form of lookout tower that combines the lookout, garage and living quarters for a small maintenance crew has been designed by L.A. Amort, engineer for the state forestry department, at the suggestion of Lee Port, of the protection department. The structure is being designed for Green Mountain, a lookout in the southern end of the Polk-Benton State unit. There are no facilities available in that part of the district for housing the spring maintenance crews or similar crews when working away from the Dallas station. The building is to be 14 feet square with a combined garage and woodshed on the ground floor and a six-foot extension is to be made on this part to provide sufficient room for the car and storage. The second floor provides sleeping quarters for a crew of three men if single bunks are used and six if double bunks are installed. The lookout house goes on the top. It is a 14 by 14 structure with catwalk. The garage and sleeping quarters will be of lumber construction and covered with aluminum sheeting. Its is planned to change the roof somewhat from the standard lookout with eaves extending about three feet beyond the building. This is for the purpose of protection from storms. The roof is to be covered with aluminum." (The Forest Log)
April 12, 1950: "Plans for construction of a new forest fire lookout on Green Peak, west of Dawson in southern Benton county were announced today by W.M. Curtis, district warden for the Polk-Benton district. Construction of the road leading to the structure began Monday and it is expected work on the lookout itself will start the last part of this month. The new permanent lookout will replace a temporary structure which has been maintained there. The lookout will be of a new type, with the garage on the ground floor, crew quarters on the second floor and a third floor consisting of a 14 by 14 foot glass-enclosed lookout." (Corvallis Gazette-Times)
May 1950: "Construction has started on a new lookout on Green peak in southern Benton county and it will be completed in time for use during the coming fire season. The structure is the new type which was designed by L.W. Amort, department engineer, a few years ago. The garage will be on the ground floor with the second story given over to quarters which can house maintenance or fire crews. On the third floor will be the 14 by 14, glassed-in lookout." (The Forest Log)
1966: This station turned in four first discoveries during the fire season.
1974: The lookout was removed.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - GREEN PEAK PID - QE2277 STATE/COUNTY- OR/BENTON COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - GLENBROOK (1984)
DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1984 THE STATION DISK HAD BEEN DESTROYED BY VANDALS. THE SHANK REMAINED. REFERENCE MARK 1 WAS RECOVERED. REFERENCE MARK 2 WAS SEARCHED FOR BUT WAS NOT RECOVERED. THE AZIMUTH MARK WAS SEARCHED FOR BUT NOT FOUND. A NEW SURFACE AND UNDERGROUND MARK WAS ESTABLISHED AT THIS TIME. REFERENCE MARK 3 WAS ALSO ESTABLISHED AT THIS TIME. THERE WAS NO SUITABLE PLACE FOR AN AZIMUTH MARK. THE STATION IS LOCATED ON THE HIGHEST PART OF GREEN PEAK ABOUT 27 KILOMETERS (16.75 MI) SOUTHWEST OF CORVALLIS AND ABOUT 10 KM (6.20 MI) WEST OF BELLFOUNTAIN. TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE CROSS ROAD IN BELLFOUNTAIN GO WEST FOR 4.8 KM (3.00 MI) TO A MILL OFFICE CONTINUE STRAIGHT AHEAD FOR 0.5 KM (0.30 MI) TO A ROAD FORK TAKE RIGHT FORK AND GO 2.9 KM (1.80 MI) TO A ROAD FORK. TURN RIGHT AND GO 0.3 KM (0.20 MI) TO A ROAD FORK, TURN RIGHT ON ROAD 14-6-7.1 AND GO 1.8 KM (1.10 MI) TO A ROAD FORK, TURN LEFT AND GO 0.6 KM (0.35 MI) TO A ROAD FORK TURN RIGHT AND GO 0.9 KM (0.55 MI) TO A TRACK ROAD LEFT TURN LEFT AND GO 0.2 KM (0.10 MI) TO TOP OF HILL AND STATION.
THE STATION IS A STANDARD NGS DISK STAMPED--GREEN PEAK 2 USE 1945 1984---, SET INTO THE TOP OF AN IRREGULAR MASS OF CONCRETE, 35 CM IN DIAMETER, RECESSED 3 CM BELOW THE GROUND. THE STATION IS LOCATED 17.7 METERS (58.1 FT) SOUTH-SOUTHEAST FROM THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF THE FOUNDATION OF AN OLD LO HOUSE 0.6 METERS (2.0 FT) SOUTH FROM A WITNESS POST.