May 29, 1908: "A telephone line will be put in from Ashland to Ashland Butte, at which latter place there will be established a fire outlook station, at which there will be a ranger stationed during the season of the year when fires may be expected to occur." (The Medford Mail Tribune)
1912: Guard Strickland stationed at the Ashland Butte lookout.
September 7, 1912: "Uncle Sam will spend $6000 in building a road to the summit of Ashland butte, where the forestry service maintains a lookout station." (Daily Capital Journal)
May 13, 1913: "District No. 6. (Ashland) The relative liability is not very great in this district, but fire hazard is. With a lookoutman stationed on Ashland Butte, and one guard patrolling the headwaters of Griffin, Anderson, Wagner, and Little Applegate, and another man especially detailed for the Ashland watershed, the cost of administration is going to run up greater for this district than on some other districts. But it is especially important to give the Ashland watershed special protection, and a lookoutman on Ashland Butte will be able to control parts of other districts." (District Fire, Fire Plan -- History of the Rogue River National Forest, Vol. 1 - by Carroll E. Brown)
July 15, 1933: Panorama photos taken by James Rittenhouse and Robert Snyder.
July 10, 1934: "Today construction of the last four miles of forest service telephone line to the lookout station on Mount Ashland was begun by a group of CCC boys." (Medford Mail Tribune)
July 19, 1935: "The forest service reports four lightning fires in widely scattered sections of the Applegate during the recent thunder storm. Following weather bureau predictions of the storm. Bert Peachy of Ashland was sent to Mt. Ashland as an emergency lookout." (Medford Mail Tribune)
August 23, 1935: "Two emergency lookouts are on duty at Mt. Ashland, although fire conditions in the Applegate section this summer have not necessitated further protection of this type." (Medford Mail Tribune)
1937: A crew of five men from the Applegate CCC camp constructed a garage and woodshed at a cost of $200.00. Five men were detailed to replace two miles of #12 telephone wire with #9 wire. (History of the Rogue River National Forest, Vol. 1 - by Carroll E. Brown)
1938: Five CCC men were placed for garage construction, fifty dollars was expended. (History of the Rogue River National Forest, Vol. 1 - by Carroll E. Brown)
July 28, 1938: "Ali J. Sandoz was sent from Tallowbox to Mt. Ashland to supplant CCC men on duty there." (Medford Mail Tribune)
September 23, 1938: "Ali J. Sandoz from Mt. Ashland will visit relatives at Trail before leaving Jackson County to return to school. Robert Heath of Ashland will assume the post at Mt. Ashland." (Medford Mail Tribune)
August 4, 1939: "Al J. Sandoz, employed at Star Ranger Station for the last month, has taken up duties as lookout at Mt. Ashland." (Medford Mail Tribune)
June 16, 1940: "Mt. Ashland, ordinarily an emergency lookout, will not be manned at the present." (Medford Mail Tribune)
1942: Use of the lookout discontinued.
1959: The lookout structure removed.
National Geodetic Survey
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1952 (WRH) THE STATION IS LOCATED ON A TREE COVERED NORTH-SOUTH RIDGE THAT IS ABOUT 1 MILE SOUTH OF THE CENTER OF ASHLAND, ABOUT 0.2 MILE EAST-SOUTHEAST OF THE ASHLAND CITY RESERVOIR. THE STATION DOES NOT SEE INTO THE CITY OF ASHLAND.
THE STATION IS 22 FEET SOUTHWEST OF A TRIANGULAR BLAZED 10-INCH PINE TREE AND 5 FEET SOUTHWEST OF A WHITE WITNESS POST. IT IS A STANDARD DISK SET IN THE TOP OF A 12-INCH CONCRETE CYLINDER THAT PROJECTS 4 INCHES. THE DISK IS STAMPED--ASHLAND 1952.
REFERENCE MARK NUMBER ONE IS 15 FEET WEST OF THE TRIANGULAR BLAZED TREE, 25 FEET WEST OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE OLD WAGON ROAD, AND ABOUT 15 INCHES LOWER THAN THE STATION. IT IS A STANDARD DISK SET IN THE TOP OF A 12-INCH CONCRETE CYLINDER THAT PROJECTS 3 INCHES. THE DISK IS STAMPED--ASHLAND NO 1 1952.
REFERENCE MARK NUMBER TWO IS 15 FEET WEST OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE OLD WAGON ROAD AND ABOUT 2 FEET HIGHER THAN THE STATION. IT IS A STANDARD DISK SET IN THE TOP OF A 12-INCH CONCRETE CYLINDER THAT PROJECTS 4 INCHES. THE DISK IS STAMPED--ASHLAND NO 2 1952.
THE AZIMUTH MARK IS 15 FEET NORTH OF THE NORTHWEST CORNER OF A GARAGE, 40 FEET SOUTHWEST OF THE SOUTHWEST CORNER OF A HOUSE, AND 10 FEET SOUTH OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE DRIVEWAY TO THE HOUSE. IT IS A STANDARD DISK SET IN THE TOP OF A 12-INCH CONCRETE CYLINDER THAT PROJECTS 2 INCHES. THE DISK IS STAMPED--ASHLAND 1952. TO REACH THE MARK FROM THE STATION PACK ABOUT 200 YARDS DOWN THE OLD WAGON ROAD TO THE GRAVEL ROAD. GO TO THE LEFT, DOWN GRADE, ON THE ROAD FOR 0.7 MILE TO THE LARGE CONCRETE WATER RESERVOIR ON THE LEFT. THE MARK IS ABOUT 100 YARDS WEST OF THE RESERVOIR AND BEYOND THE SMALL WOODEN GARAGE THAT IS SEEN FROM THIS POINT.