April 24, 1936: "Bob Ellis was sent to keep watch from Pepper mountain lookout, first lookout up in the district this year, if rain sets in, the lookout will come down until the real beginning of the fire season." (The Bonneville Dam Chronicle)
Activated: November 14, 1942; Deactivated: June 5, 1943. Portland Filter Center.
June 5, 1943: Aircraft Warning Service station Tare 1-9 was inactivated. The site was retained by the Forest Service for fire detection. (Report of Aircraft Warning Service Stations - May 1, 1944)
1955: The lookout abandoned.
June 23, 1957: "Ty Kearney, W7WFP, of Vancouver, Wash., field day manager for the club, chose the site and assigned areas around the mountain top, site of an abandoned state fire lookout station. Ralph griffin is president of the club. Dr. Lloyd Meade supplied the portable generator on a trailer to supply power for all four transmitters. All equipment must be portable and usable in an emergency when power lines are down." (The Sunday Oregonian)