August 1, 1935: "Plans are being forwarded to occupy Jump Off Joe shortly after the first of August, or as soon thereafter as telephone communication is installed." (The Lebanon Express)
October 10, 1935: "A new glass-enclosed lookout station will be constructed in the Willamette national forest this fall, according to Roy Elliott, assistant supervisor. To be placed atop Jump-off Joe in the Cascadia sector." (The Eugene Register-Guard)
1936: A L-4 lookout house constructed.
July 1, 1937: "Wayne Wood left Sunday for Jump Off Joe lookout station where he will be on duty for the summer." (The Lebanon Express)
August 25, 1938: "William Cook from Jump-Off-Joe lookout station, located in the Cascades, spent a two-day vacation visiting his sister Miss Della Cook and with friends in Salem." (The Lebanon Express)
July 14, 1939: "Jump Off Joe is one of the emergency lookout stations. The lookout itself stands on top of a large flat rock with the north side a sheer cliff. The lookout fireman can see up and down the upper end of the South Santiam river basin. The location is in Township 14S and Range 5E and has an elevation of 4284 feet. William C. Cook will fill the position of emergency lookout fireman. It is 30 miles from Cascadia. A good trail leads to the lookout." (Albany Democrat-Herald)
July 17, 1941: "Bill Bowes, who has been in the Lebanon hospital since he suffered a leg injury, expects to return soon to his Jump Off Joe lookout. He is in the forestry service." (Statesman Journal)
1943: The lookout staffed by volunteers that used their vacation time from their regular positions with Mountain States Power Company. These volunteers included: W.A. Spray, F.D. White, C.R. McLean, E.R. Tigner, L.F. McClain, O.J. Hewitt, O.B. Putnam, Charles Wagner and D.M. Shreve.