1933: The first lookout station built on Clear Lake Butte of ring-connected timbers 103 feet high. Constructed by Ranger O.J. Johnson in 1933. (Studies -- Mt Hood National Forest, 1939 - Historical Information)
October 23, 1933: Panorama photos taken by Reino Sarlin & Albert Arnst.
October 16, 1943: Aircraft Warning Service station Tare 5-4 was inactivated. The site was retained by the Forest Service for fire detection. (Report of Aircraft Warning Service Stations - May 1, 1944)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - CLEAR LAKE BUTTE LOOKOUT TOWER PID - RC2252 STATE/COUNTY- OR/WASCO COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - WAPINITIA PASS (1996)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1947 (WRH) THE STATION IS THE CENTER OF THE ELEVATED LOOKOUT TOWER ON THE SUMMIT OF CLEAR LAKE BUTTE IN THE HOOD NATIONAL FOREST. IT IS LOCATED ABOUT 11 MILES SOUTH OF GOVERNMENT CAMP, ABOUT 9 MILES NORTHWEST OF BEAR SPRINGS GUARD STATION AND ABOUT 2 MILES SOUTH OF CLEAR LAKE. THE TOWER IS ABOUT 90 FEET IN HEIGHT AND IS SURROUNDED BY TALL TIMBER ON ALL SIDES.