August 2, 1917: "The rangers of the southwestern part of the county are busy this week taking in material for the construction of a lookout house on Eagle Butte." (The Oregonian)
December 13, 1939: "From November 28 to December 13, Mr. Issac Rawley, Senior Clerk, CCC-ID, made an examination of the CCC-ID cost accounts at this agency and in his report calls attention to an apparent overexpediture on Project No. 119, Eagle Butte Lookout Tower. Under date of April 21, 1939 there was submitted to the Office through the CCC-ID coordinating officer, a proposed project for the purchase and erection of a lookout tower on Eagle Butte. This project was approved by the Office in its letter of May 11, 1939 as Project No. 119, Eagle Butte Lookout Tower. Authority to continue the project and expend $500 of funds allotted for the fiscal year 1940 also was granted to provide for the erection of the tower. Office letter of May 11, 1939 advised that arrangements were being made for purchase of the tower through the procurement Officer, Interior Department. The cost of the tower was estimated at $675.00 and was based on an 80-foot tower purchased for Shitike Butte in 1935. Upon receipt of the voucher for payment of the tower in July, 1939, the cost of the tower was found to be $1125.60. Evidently this difference is due to the use of heavier materials and in improved type of tower. In addition to the initial chargeable to the project during the 1939 fiscal year have increased the project costs to $1207.13 which is $552,13 in excess of estimated cost. " (Letter to the Production Coordinating Officer)
June 13, 1940: "Under date of May 11, 1939 the Indian Office authorized expenditure of $500.00 from our 1940 CCC-ID funds for erection of the Eagle Butte Lookout Tower under Project 119. The tower was purchased from funds allotted for the fiscal year 1939, but shipment was not made until after July 1, 1939, therefore, it was necessary to pay the freight charges from 1940 funds. Freight and overhead chargeable to the 1940 project amounted to $469.24 before actual erection of the tower had been started. This matter was called to the attention of the Office in our letter of December 13, 1939, and in reply, under date of March 1, 1940, the Office advised that an additional allotment of 1940 funds in the amount of $500.00 was being made for this project, making a total of $1,000.00 for fiscal year 1940. The balance available when erection of the tower was started amounted to $530.76. Expenditures for actual erection to June 1st amounted to $268.50, leaving a balance of $262.26 for completion of the project. It is estimated that erection of the tower is more than half completed and it is possible that the work could be finished with available funds, however, to avoid the possibility of over-expenditure on the project it is requested that the budget authority for Project No. 119 should be increased by fifteen percent making a total of $1150.00 available for completion of the work. Sufficient savings from other projects are available to cover the increase requested for Project No. 119." (Letter to Production Coordinating Officer from Superintendent, Warm Springs Indian Agency)
August 5, 1974: "Although fires burned as close as 300 feet from the tower at Eagle Butte, north of Warm Springs, fire lookout Peggy Forseth, 19, Warm Springs, remained at her post Sunday evening. She reported the first of seven lightning blazes about 7 p.m. Sunday and didn't leave the tower until about 8:30 or 9 p.m. 'It was pretty scary, but it wasn't the fire,' Miss Forseth said this morning. 'It was the lightning that really shook me up. I could hardly tell them where the fire was.' Six fires burned near the tower, located about five miles north of Warm Springs and one and a half miles west of the Kah-Nee-Ta road. The seventh fire burned an estimated 30 acres east of the tower near the mouth of the Warm Springs River. The largest of the other six burned about 2 acres." (The Bulletin)
1987: The lookout tower was renovated, receiving new window, steps, walls, ceilings and paneling. The living quarters were also remodeled.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - EAGLE BUTTE LOT PID - QD1557 STATE/COUNTY- OR/WASCO COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - EAGLE BUTTE (1962)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1946 (CAG) STATION IS LOCATED ABOUT 4.5 MILES NORTH BY EAST OF THE WARM SPRINGS INDIAN RESERVATION ON THE HIGHEST POINT OF EAGLE BUTTE.
IT IS A STANDARD STEEL LOOKOUT TOWER, ABOUT 100 FEET IN HEIGHT, HAS A STAIRWAY IN THE CENTER THAT LEADS TO A GLASS ENCLOSED STEEL CROWS NEST ON THE TOP AND EVERY OTHER SECTION OF THE STRUCTURE IS PAINTED ORANGE.
IT IS LOCATED BY DISTANCE AND DIRECTION FROM TRIANGULATION STATION EAGLE. THE POINT LOCATED IS THE CENTER OF THE BASE OF THE STRUCTURE.