1924: An investment of $25.33 was made in the construction of an 8x10, one room, log tool house. This building had one window. (Umpqua National Forest files)
c. 1925: A crow's nest was established 65 feet above the ground in a Douglas fir tree.
1926: An additional $5.00 was spent on the tool house. (Umpqua National Forest files)
1931: A three and four wire barbed wire fence was constructed for $36.43. This fence was constructed so that it could be taken down easily. (Umpqua National Forest files)
1932: An additional $63.63 was spent on the pasture fencing. (Umpqua National Forest files)
1932: A 20-foot round fir pole tower with an L-4 gable roof cabin was constructed.
1932: An investment of $15.83 was spent on the construction of the water system. (Umpqua National Forest files)
July 27 & 28, 1933: Panorama photos taken by Robert Snyder.
August 7, 1934: "Sadie Barrow of the Butler Butte lookout station on the Umpqua side, spent a few days with the L.W. Ash's last week. She returned to the station August 1." (Medford Mail Tribune)
1938: A garage and woodshed were built at a cost of $15.51. (Umpqua National Forest files)
1938: The log house was abandoned. (Umpqua National Forest files)
1941: The lookout was staffed for 85 days and reported to the Tiller Ranger Station by way of forest line to Pacific Telephone and Telegraph
Activated: August 24, 1942; Deactivated: October 16, 1943. Roseburg Filter Center.
1942: A cabin was built for the AWS observers. Clarance and Laura Hartly were the observers for the Aircraft Warning Service.
1943: The Forest Service acquired the woodshed from the Aircraft Warning Service for $100.00. (Umpqua National Forest files)
1948: The water system was transferred to the Rogue River National Forest. (Umpqua National Forest files)
1958: The lookout tower and cab were removed. AWS cabin and related out-buildings were retained.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - BUTLER BU PID - NZ1159 STATE/COUNTY- OR/DOUGLAS COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - BUTLER BUTTE (1989)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1953 (HSC) THE STATION IS LOCATED ON A PROMINENT FLAT TOPPED BUTTE ON THE ROGUE-UMPQUA DIVIDE LOCALLY KNOWN AS BUTLER BUTTE, ABOUT 23 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF THE WESTERN SHORE OF CRATER LAKE AND 12 MILES WEST OF UNION CREEK.
REACHED FROM THE RANGER STATION IN UNION CREEK, BY GOING SOUTHERLY ON STATE ROUTE 62 FOR 4.6 MILES TO A SIDE ROAD RIGHT AND SIGN ABBOTT L.O. TURN RIGHT AND GO 0.9 MILE TO A T-ROAD. TURN RIGHT AND GO 1.1 MILES TO A FORK JUST AFTER CROSSING THE ROGUE RIVER. TAKE THE RIGHT ROAD AND GO 1.0 MILE TO A FORK. TAKE THE LEFT ROAD AND GO 2.0 MILES TO A FORK. TAKE THE RIGHT ROAD AND FOLLOW THE MAIN TRAVELED ROAD 9.8 MILES TO A T-ROAD AND SIGN BUTLER L.O 7-ABBOTT L.O. 3 AT WINDY GAP. TURN LEFT AND GO 0.4 MILE TO A SIDE ROAD LEFT AT HUCKLEBERRY GAP. CONTINUE STRAIGHT AHEAD FOR 2.8 MILES TO A FORK. TAKE THE RIGHT ROAD AND GO 3.7 MILES TO A FORK AND SIGN BUTLER L. O. 0.5. TAKE THE LEFT ROAD AND GO 0.5 MILES TO THE BUTLER BUTTE LOOKOUT TOWER AND STATION SITE.