August 19, 1939: "CCC labor under the supervision of the local ranger, Boyd Rasmussen, is building a new lookout station at Hanging Rock. A 40-foot tower will be constructed. This station, now operated from a tent, will give excellent coverage to the Rogue river valley in the vicinity of Mule creek, as well as of the tract surrounding the headquarters of the south fork of the Coquille. A similar project is planned for the Eden Ridge lookout, but it is doubtful that it can be completed this year." (The Coos Bay Times)
October 11, 1939: "The new lookout at Hanging Rock is nearly finished and will be complete in about a week." (The Coos Bay Times)
May 1940: "Position has good seen area in the Agness and Galice districts where man-caused fires are apt to occur. It does not contribute much seen area to the Port Orford district and turned over to Agness. This is a part of the drier section of this district which otherwise enjoys much lower fire danger than the others." (Plans, Guard Placement, Siskiyou National Forest)
1941: The lookout was staffed 94 days. The reporting station was the Powers Ranger Station and communications were by way of West Coast Telephone line.