1950's: Utilized as a combination fire observation and Ground Observer Corps station.
1955: "A new 14x14 combination lookout, garage and crew house was built at Courtney Butte, near Flora, at a cost of $1800.00. The lookout cabin needs to be sealed and finished inside. The material to complete this work has been purchased, and the work will be completed this coming spring when weather conditions permit. One quarter of a mile of road was constructed at the lookout for a cost of $100.00." (1955 Annual Report to the Oregon Department of Forestry)
1956: A fence was installed around the lookout and a new toilet built.
1963: The lookout was repainted.
1969: "The roof of the Courtney Lookout was painted International Orange to facilitate air identification." (Northeast Oregon District - Oregon Department of Forestry Annual Report - 1969)
At this time the lookout structure is private property.