August 26, 1932: "Several long needed roads are to be built, one from the Crane Prairie Ranger Station to Sheep Mountain where a new lookout house is also to be built and a telephone line." (John Day Valley Ranger)
1933: A 20-foot native timber tower with an L-4 cab constructed.
September 10, 1935: Panorama photos taken by Osborne.
1936:The lookout was staffed by CCC men.
July 6, 1939: "Max O'Brien, also the telephone operator is located at Sheep Mountain this year, being removed from Crane Prairie station, Mrs. Max O'Brien is in charge of the switchboard."(The Journal - Grant County)
July 17, 1953: "Mr. and Mrs. Dick Martin and Mike are now stationed at the Sheep mountain lookout." (Blue Mountain Eagle)
1953: "Sheep Mountain - New native wood tower placed under existing house - old tower had been 'stubbed' in 1947." (Malheur Historical Record 1943 - 1953)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - SHEEP MOUNTAIN LOT PID - QC0902 STATE/COUNTY- OR/GRANT COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - LITTLE BALDY MTN (1983)
DESCRIBED BY US FOREST SERVICE 1934 THIS INTERSECTED POSITION IS THE CENTER OF THE U.S.F.S. 20-FOOT WOOD LOOKOUT TOWER ON THE SUMMIT OF SHEEP MOUNTAIN, WHICH IS JUST S OF THE SW CORNER OF BAKER COUNTY. ELEVATION ABOUT 7700 FEET. THE POSITION IS MARKED BY A FOREST SERVICE DISK SET IN A CONCRETE POST IMMEDIATELY UNDER THE CENTER OF THE TOWER.
DETERMINED BY JOHNSON IN 1933. NOT U.S.F.S. TRIANGULATION.