May 13, 1913: "District N0. 8. (Trail) This is another district in which the liability is not in proportion to the fire risk. A mild climate, low altitudes, exposed, sunny ridges, old brush, big brush patches, down timber, many campers and hunters all tend to make the fire hazard great. It is necessary to expend more money in proportion to the resources of this district for its protection than on some of the other districts. From past experience it is noticed that the fires start up in several different places simultaneously and spread rapidly. The settlers adjacent to the district are willing fire fighters and good ones, but their number is limited. By special patrol, all fires that start can receive immediate attention, and the 8 or 10 settlers that can be depended upon in the district with the assistance of the patrolman will be able to control fires and protect the district satisfactorily, but with only 1 or 2 Forest officers in the district, whose presence in case of fire is needed at the fire, leaving no one on the area for patrol at such times, makes it almost impossible to properly protect the region. This was the situation in 1910 when a very serious fire occurred in the district. It is planned and hoped that sufficient funds are available to station a lookout man at Blue Rock with telephone connections so that he and the lookoutman at Bald Mountain will be able to control most of the area. One of the guards will be stationed at Sugar Pine Camp, another very good lookout point but not connected with telephone, and possibly 2 other patrolmen may be available for patrolling the trails and visiting camping grounds in the most frequented areas. With such a distribution of patrolmen it is possible to protect the area very well. The only improvements that it is felt can be built this year is the telephone line to Blue Rock lookout. Many trails and other telephone lines are needed in the district, but their construction must be postponed until improvement fund is large enough to permit it." (District Fire, Fire Plan --- History of the Rogue River National Forest, Volume 1 - 1993-1932 - Carroll E. Brown)
July 26, 1933: Panorama photos taken by Lester Moe & James Rittenhouse.
c.1935: A 35-foot round timber tower with an L-4 cab was constructed.
August 28, 1936: "For those interested in unusual drives into the forest, a trip to the Blue Rock lookout is suggested. This lookout point is about 20 miles from Butte Falls over a good mountain road. Directions for reaching it are: Follow signs to the South Fork of Rogue River CCC camp, then signs directing to Parker Meadows and Lodgepole, then about three miles up turn to right at a sign which directs you to Blue Rock. This lookout house is on a 40 foot tower which gives a good view of the Blue Canyon country. One may drive directly to the tower and the lookout man will be glad to receive visitors." (Medford Mail Tribune)
1937: A crew of ten men from the South Fork CCC camp constructed a garage and tool house at a cost of $50.00.
1938: A five man crew from the South Fork CCC camp worked on a hazard reduction project during the last half of September.
1940: During the first half of June five men from the South Fork camp installed lightning protection at a cost of $50.00.
August 4, 1940: "A smoker-caused fire in Rogue River national forest Friday afternoon was put out before it had a chance to spread. The blaze was spotted and put out by Frank Brown, Blue Rock lookout. It was in Blue Canyon near Horseshoe lake. Forest executives were of the belief that the fire started by a cigarette or match thrown away by a berry picked." (Medford Mail Tribune)
1941: The lookout was staffed 85 days. Communications were by telephone to the Butte Falls station by way of Columbia Utilities Company.
Activated: August 11, 1942; Deactivated: June 14, 1943. Roseburg Filter Center.
1942: Mr. and Mrs. Herb Wright spent the winter as AWS observers at the lookout.
June 14, 1943: AWS Station 'Jig 0-1' was inactivated with recommendation to retain. (Report of Aircraft Warning Service Stations, May 1, 1944)
July 14, 1952: "Larry Shull, Griffin Creek road, is in Community hospital after suffering a knee cut while working with the Butte Falls forest service crew, Wednesday, Verus Dahlin, fire control officer, reported. Shull's axe slipped while he was helping clear a trail five minutes before quitting time. He plans to return to work at the Blue Rock lookout station this week." (Medford Mail Tribune)
September 20, 1962: "The old Blue Rock lookout has been torn down to make room for a new tower. People wishing to visit a lookout tower should go to the Rustler Peak Lookout." (Medford Mail Tribune)
May 10, 1963: "Sealed bids will be received in the office of the Regional Contracting Officer, Portland until 1:00 p.m. PDT, May 23, 1963 for the construction of a 53 foot treated lookout tower and flat top house. The project is located in Section 12, T. 35 S., R. 4 E., W.M., Jackson County, Oregon, approximately 22 miles from Butte Falls, Oregon. The project includes furnishing all labor, tools, and equipment for construction of Blue Rock 53 foot Treated Timber Lookout Tower and Flat Top House. A copy of the bid, specifications, and plans may be secured from the Butte Falls Ranger Station Office, or from the Forest Supervisor's Office in the Post Office Building, Medford, Oregon." (Medford Mail Tribune)
1963: A 53-foot treated timber tower with a flat-roof R-6 cab replaced the nearly 30-year-old structure. (History of the Rogue River National Forest, Vol. 2 - by Carroll E. Brown)
1974: By use of a crane the lookout was removed in sections by truck and trailer to Robinson Butte where it was reassembled.