1912: "Ranger Donnelly received instructions to build a lookout on Lookout Mountain. There were no plans or other detailed instructions so he was obliged to just go ahead and build it." (The Ochoconian 11/1930)
June 13, 1912: "Forest Supervisor Ross says that telephone material has been ordered to build a telephone line to the highest point on Lookout mountain, where a fire guard will be stationed. He will have a tower between 30 and 40 feet high and with the aid of powerful field glasses and a map of the country will be able to see miles and miles in all directions. The telephone line will keep the guard in touch with headquarters in Prineville at all times. The guard will be on duty during the months of July, August and September. The line is being built jointly by the forest service and the timber owners represented by J.H. Haner." (Crook County Journal)
May 29, 1913: "L.M. Bechtell leaves the first of the month for the mountains. He will be a forest guard on Lookout for several months. He hasn't severed his connection with the Haner Abstract Co. at all, but simply takes a vacation. His mother will accompany him." (Crook County Journal)
August 7, 1913: "County Clerk Brown, accompanied by Mr. Battles and Miss Crooks, went to Lookout mountain Sunday where L.M. Bechtell and his mother are stationed for the summer. Miss Crooks remained for a short visit." (Crook County Journal)
June 26, 1919: "Mr. Jack Ireland will take up his duties on Lookout Mountain, on July 1, and of course after this date we will be more at ease under the watchful eyes of Jack as no fire can spread over more than twenty square feet until it is seen and reported and extinguished." (Crook County Journal)
July 15, 1920: "C.W. Goodnight has been on Lookout Mountain, at the Quick Silver mines for the past two weeks fixing up the roads to this mountain. It is expected that within another week it will be possible for an adventuresome driver to go to the pinnacle of Lookout Mountain." (Crook County Journal)
July 22, 1920: "In later years, the U.S. Forest Service built a small cabin on the summit of the mountain and equipped it with fire finders and other instruments and kept a ranger stationed there during the fire season. Owing to its location, it was decided to establish a larger camp there making it necessary to build a road up the mountain. Charles Goodnight has been working all spring making this road, and has just completed it. Mr. Ireland and his Ford, in company with V.V. Harpham's Buick, started for the cabin on top of the mountain. Mr. Ireland was the first to make the ascent. As this is the only peak in this country that has a road of this nature to the top of it, we predict that it will be a standing dare to all automobilists from now on." (Crook County Journal)
June 30, 1921: "John Dobry and Jack Ireland are doing some work on the road up to Lookout Mountain, and it is expected that this road will soon be in shape so that the venturesome motorists may climb to the summit of the mountain if they desire." (Crook County Journal)
August 19, 1921: "One of the latest type Osborne Fire Finders was installed on Lookout Mountain on August 1st. With this finder it is possible to make a reading on a fire as close as one minute; it is also possible to take a reading on each side of the base of the fire and reckon its size very closely; the instrument is also equipped so that vertical angle reading can be taken, thus enabling the operator to tell the exact distance from the point of observation to the fire. The old fire finder which has been used on Lookout Mountain for a number of years will be equipped with a new map and taken to Bald Mountain lookout near Dayville." (Central Oregonian)
May 10, 1923: "Spur telephone lines will be constructed out from the main camp at Lookout Mountain lookout point." (Central Oregonian)
June 28, 1923: "The commissary department of the forest service this year will be in charge of Jack Ireland who, for several seasons was stationed at the ranger station on Lookout Mountain." (Central Oregonian)
June 1925: The D-5 style lookout house was completed.
August 1925: "Assistant Supervisor W.A. Donnelly and Ranger Lee Blevins completed the lookout house on Lookout Mountain last week. This lookout house is 14'x14' with windows all around, built on a foundation about 11 feet high. The lookout can see a fire from any angle, either standing up or lying down. In fact the only way he can keep from seeing a fire is to go to sleep." (Six Twenty-Six)
September 1925: "Marion O'Kelley is again on duty as lookout on Lookout Mountain after an absence of ten days on account of sickness. Rex Denny and Richard Holms served as lookouts during O'Kelley's absence. L.B." (Six Twenty-Six)
1927: This lookout reported nine fires during the fire season.
June 1928: "Gordon McNely is our lookout on Lookout Mountain this year. He moved up and took charge on the 24th of May. Gordon asked for two days leave, said he had the "flu" and wanted to go to town and get some medicine. From all outward appearances, the medicine must have taken immediate effect for he came back today all rared back, looking very happy with a brand new bride on his arm; so now I have two lookouts on Lookout Mountain instead of one. A word of warning to the rest of you Rangers will now be in order: Whenever any of your lookouts or firemen begin to show signs of the "flu", just stake them out, or perhaps still better, just shoot 'em." (The Ochoconian)
1929: A new telephone line to be constructed to the south point of Lookout Mountain.
November 1929: "The fire season was officially closed November 5, when we moved Lookout Roy Mattson off of Lookout Mountain. This has been the longest fire season we have ever experienced. As a general rule we shut up shop by October 1 to 5." (The Ochoconian)
August 1930: "Fireman Coles, Houston and Prose finished constructing two miles of phone line to the south point of Lookout Mountain July 3. Lookout Arnold and I (District Ranger Lee Blevins) installed phone and fire finders a few days later. This enables Mr. Arnold to cover country that is not in sight from any other lookout. This will very likely eliminate some class C fires that have occurred on this blind area in the past." (The Ochoconian)
July 1934: "Along toward the later part of May we had a spell of serious fire weather necessitating some emergency lookouts. When Ranger Wirth rushed a man up to Lookout Mountain the telephone would not work. On investigation it was discovered that the brand new aluminum boxes containing the telephone lightning protection each had been shot into with a high powered rifle and that the contents were ruined. A search about the place revealed names of three men written on the lookout house along with the date of May 13. Also some rifle shells were found each bearing a peculiar scratch caused by the ejector. This constituted sufficient evidence for the State Police who were asked for assistance in handling the case. Result--offenders hailed before the local court and relieved of $57.50. This should be a lesson to them and others who might be inclined to seek recreation at the expense of the government property. H.C. Obye" (Six Twenty-Six)
August 23, 1936: Panorama photos taken. Photos were taken at the main camp, and another set taken at the South Point.
June 29, 1944: "Mrs. Jessie Quant planned to leave Monday afternoon to go to her post on Lookout Mountain where she will work as a Forest Service lookout." (Central Oregonian)
June 28, 1945: "Mrs. Jessie Quant left Tuesday morning for her post on Lookout Mountain, where she will be on duty as a lookout for the Forest Service." (Central Oregonian)