June 24, 1922: "Each of these lookouts (includes Cummins Peak) will be connected by telephone with the nearest ranger and none of them will be allowed to leave his post throughout the fire season unless he has a substitute. Supplies are taken to the lookouts at intervals and in some instances water has to be carried to them." (Morning Register)
February 7, 1923: "A forest lookout house may be erected on Cummins mountain, not far from Waldport in Lincoln county, according to A.R. Wilcox, examiner in the Siuslaw national forest, who has just returned from a two weeks' trip to that part of the forest. Wilcox made a thorough inspection of the location and said that it is an ideal place for a permanent lookout station. The mountain has been used by forest lookouts at different times." (Morning Register)
September 27, 1924: "After spending a summer on the top of Cummins peak, where his only shelter is a rough log roof to protect his telephone and bed, J. R. Stromford, Siuslaw national forest lookout, arrived in Eugene Friday on his way to Portland where he will enter the medical school of the University of Oregon. Mr. Stromford expects to serve as lookout at the same post next year." (The Eugene Guard)
April 21, 1925: "A lookout house will be built this year on Cumming's peak in the Siuslaw national forest. It will be occupied by J.V. Straumfjord, who spent the winter attending medical college in Portland." (The Eugene Guard)
April 27, 1925: "A lookout house is also being erected this year on Cummings peak and the employee stationed at that point will not be required to camp out all summer, as was necessary last year." (The Eugene Guard)
January 23, 1926: "One lookout house was built on Cummins peak at a cost of $924.00." (Morning Register)
June 12, 1928: "Lloyd Cobert is in Mapleton for a few days getting ready for the fire season. Mr. Cobert will be located on Cummings peak as fire lookout. He was on this lookout station last year." (Morning Register)
1932: Therone Farris was lookout at the beginning of the season and Verus Dahlin at the end of the season.
October 1, 1932: "Verus Dahlin has been visiting his father here, briefly, on his way from Cummins peak where he has been stationed all summer to the O.S.C. where he will resume his work in the forestry department." (The Eugene Guard)
April 11, 1934: Panorama photos taken by Robert Cooper.
July/August 1937: "Jack Robinson and his crew have completed the road to Cummins Peak Lookout." (The Salt - Forest newsletter)
1954: A 41-foot treated timber tower was erected. A memo indicates that an estimated cost of $5,200 to move the Blodgett Peak lookout to this site.
1971: The final year the lookout was staffed.
1972: The lookout was used as an emergency post. The lookout was sold for salvage.
c.1975: The lookout was removed.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - CUMMINS PEAK LOH PID - QE2295 STATE/COUNTY- OR/LANE COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - CUMMINS PEAK (1984)
DESCRIBED BY US FOREST SERVICE 1936 THIS OCCUPIED STATION IS CENTER OF U.S. FOREST SERVICE, CUMMINS PEAK, LOOKOUT HOUSE, SITUATED ON HIGHEST POINT OF MOUNTAIN ON EASTERLY PART OF CUMMINS RIDGE, AND ABOUT 8 MILES, AIRLINE, SE OF YACHATS.