June 29, 1930: "The range finder on Rocky Peak is being repaired and will be installed on Brushy Bald where a lookout camp is being constructed. (Curry County Reporter)
July 1930: "The State Forester is building a lookout house on Brushy Bald Mountain. Brushy Bald is on the headwaters of the south fork of the Lobster Creek watershed, all of Eucher Creek and lower Rogue River from Quonsatana Butte west. When this lookout is in operation it will be a valuable addition to the fire detection system of the Agness District. Material is being hauled to the top of Brushy Bald on a 'lizard' with the use of a mule." (The Siskiyou Bulletin)
August 17, 1933: "The Brushy Bald fire, which raged several days before being put under control burned about 1,500 acres of brush covered land. The fire was estimated to have a front of several miles and the land burned over was nearly all brush. However, only quick action in getting it under control prevented the burning of a valuable stand of Port Orford cedar. Backfiring was necessary to save the lookout station on Brushy Bald." (Curry County Reporter)
April 5, 1934: Panorama photos taken by James Rittenhouse & Albert Arnst
June 13, 1934: "Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell Anderson, of Pistol River, have moved to the state forestry lookout station on Brushy Bald where Anderson will be employed this year." (The Coos Bay Times)
August 9, 1934: "Wilbur Ostrander took his crew of fire eaters out to the Brushy Bald district during damp weather a week ago and by hard and fast work succeeded in brushing out a right-of-way and stringing telephone wire from the Schlingman place at Cedar Fork to the Brushy Bald lookout station. The work had to be done in a hurry as the fire prevention crew could not be taken away from their regular posts except during the short time that wet weather eliminated fire hazards. Three days sufficed to get the line nearly completed." (Curry County Reporter)
December 13, 1935: "The Forest Service desires to use as a lookout point Lot 9, Section 14, T. 35 S., R. 14 West, W.M. This land is outside but near the boundary of the Siskiyou National Forest, and it is reported to be covered by a Homestead Entry now in course of cancellation. The site is to be used for the purpose of detection of forest fires within and near the boundaries of the National Forest. If your office is willing to approve this use, I shall be glad if you will reserve the land from other appropriation under the designation of Brushy Bald Lookout site. Use of the land by Forest Service will be subject to the existing claim." (Letter to the Commissioner of the General Land Office from the Acting Chief, Forest Service)
September 16, 1937: "R.Z. Walker and Sidney Walker are out at Brushy Bald Mountain building a lookout station." (Curry County Reporter)
1938: The lookout on a 30-foot tower completed.
Activated: March 9, 1942. Roseburg Filter Center.
May 11, 1942: "Not visited this trip. Assistant Warden Young, in Gold Beach, says a logger is building a road this summer part way up to Brushy Bald, so he is holding off winterizing the O.P. until late this summer in order to take advantage of the road." (Inspection Report from W.N. Parke, AWS Inspector, to James Frankland, USFS)
September 11, 1942: A report by W.N. Parke, AWS Inspector, stated that a 20x22 portable building, sealed and double walled, had been completed.
May 21, 1942: "Mrs. Ruby Purdin, who is working with her husband on the Brushy Bald lookout station, came into Gold Beach for dental treatment Monday." (The Coos Bay Times)
July 28, 1952: "Jean Sandine and Camille O'Toole have informed their parents they are enjoying their work as lookouts on Bushie Bald mountain near Gold Beach." (The Coos Bay Times)
October 12, 1962: The tower destroyed by the heavy winds of the Columbus Day storm.