June 28, 1948: "The Weyerhaeuser company is providing two new lookout sites for the Coos Forest Protective association, one at McKeever butte in section 16,, township 25 south, range 11 west, and the other at Kelly butte in 15-25-9." (The Coos Bay Times)
August 1948: "A new lookout, to be designated as McKeever lookout, has been established on the South Fork of Coos river through the cooperation of the Coos Forest Protective association and the Weyerhaeuser Timber company. The lookout has been named in honor of Don McKeever, Weyerhaeuser research forester who was killed a few months ago when a snag fell across the car in which he was riding." (The Forest Log)
1948: "A lookout-patrol was established on McKeevers Butte, located in section 16, Township 25 S Range 11 W. A building was furnished and moved to the site by the Weyerhaeuser Timber Company who assisted in clearing the ground for the lookout." (Oregon Department of Forestry Annual Report - 1948)
June 4, 1949: "Two new lookout stations for fire protection are being planned for erection this summer in Weyerhaeuser Timber company holdings, through cooperation of the company and the Coos Forest Protective association. The first one will be on McKeever butte on the main divide between the Millicoma river and the south fork of Coos river. From this tower, the lookout will cover the area all the way to Coos Bay. The site is ready and the timber company will build the tower but the lookout staff will be supplied by the protection association." (The Coos Bay Times)
1953: A lookout house with a cupola was constructed by the Weyerhaeuser Company.