April 1945: "Plans are under way at the present time for the construction of a 50-foot lookout tower on Monument mountain about three miles north of the settlement of Monument on the North Fork of the John Day river in the eastern Oregon state unit. A 14 by 14 cabin will be constructed on the top of the tower. Also included in the improvement program is a mile and a quarter of road to reach the tower site and the construction of a similar mileage of telephone line. This project is for the Grant county area that has heretofore been a blind spot to all other l;ookouts in that territory. It will serve not only the timbered area but will cover a part of the Zone 1 area that was created last year through action of the county court." (The Forest Log)
June 28, 1946: "The four main posts are up for the Monument Mountain lookout which is being built. Clayton Sweek will be lookout man through fire season." (John Day Valley Ranger)
August 23, 1946: "The tower for Monument Mountain came in by truck, Friday." (John Day Valley Ranger)
September 6, 1946: "A group of young people planned a surprise party at Monument Mountain for Clayton Sweek on his birthday anniversary, Sunday, but due to an electrical storm they gave it in town." (John Day Valley Ranger)
1946: "Monument Mountain lookout: lookout construction - $791 labor, $182.20 cost, Total $1126.20." (Central Oregon District Annual Report)
1947: "Monument Mountain lookout - 8S 28E Sec 19: 52 foot pre-fab tower and 14 x 14 house. Cost $1148." "Monument lookout - lookout construction $175.00 labor." (Central Oregon District Annual Report)
June 18, 1948: "Mr. and Mrs. Aubrey Crum moved to the Monument Lookout on Monument mountain June 14. This is the third summer for Mrs. Crum. Mr. Crum is fire chaser and all around helper for the fire warden, Chet Brown." (Blue Mountain Eagle)
June 8, 1950: "Mr. and Mrs. Aubrey Crum have moved back to the Monument lookout. Some fires have been reported in that area. If the dry weather continues there is the possibility there may be many fires this summer." (Heppner Gazette-Times)
October 12, 1950: "Mr. and Mrs. Aubrey Crum of the Monument mountain lookout station, moved back to Cottonwood last Thursday. Since the rains have started all lookout stations are abandoned." (Heppner Gazette-Times)
August 10, 1951: "Aubrey Crum, at the lookout on Monument Mountain, has two unique pets. One is a lizard who makes his home in the woodpile. Whenever Crum picks up a stick of wood,m the lizard is there to catch bugs. The other pet, a porcupine, visits Crum each evening to get the table scraps." (Blue Mountain Eagle)
August 17, 1951: "Awbrey Crum killed two large snakes at the Monument lookout this week. One was a rattler with ten rattles. It was directly under the tower. It is uncommon to find a rattlesnake on top of the mountain. The second snake was the oddest ever seen in these parts. It measured 53 inches long. Its back was slate grey with a yellow stripe just lower than the grey color, then a russet or bronze stripe behind the yellow. The under part of the snake from the head for about a foot was spotted with black, then the color went to yellow then a rose pink near the tail. The sagebrush on the mountain is about 18 inches high, and the snake would move very fast and raise its head above the sagebrush to look around. Mr. Crum shot the snake, which is believed to be an Oregon Racer." (Blue Mountain Eagle)
October 18, 1951: "Mrs. Edna Crum was released from her duties as Lookout on Monument mountain on October 4th. Mr. Crum stayed on for a few days to help finish up the work for the year." (Heppner Gazette-Times)
October 19, 1951: "Rains have ushered in the close of fire lookouts in the Monument district. Mrs. Edna Crum of the Monument lookout was released from her duties October 4. Mr. Crum stayed at the lookout to help Chet Brown finish up the season's work." (Blue Mountain Eagle)
October 30, 1953: "Mr. and Mrs. Aubrey Crum moved home from Monument lookout Monday." (Blue Mountain Eagle)
1956: "Painted floor and guardrails on Monument lookout." (Central Oregon District Annual Report)
1958: The tower exterior was painted.
1959: "The lookout has access to the new dial up telephone system, but the cost is too expensive for this station, $9.25 per month plus hook-up and disc charges. If the need ever becomes evident, we can rebuild the old lines for communications." (Central Oregon District Annual Report)
1960: Exterior painting was done, linoleum tile was installed, a broken window replaced and the lookout was wired to code for electricity.
July 12, 1962: "Miss Margaret Martin is spending the week with Miss Dixie Stubblefield on the Monument Lookout getting acquainted with the routine work." (Heppner Gazette-Times)
1966: "Lookout painted, trap door, railings, windows and screens repaired." (East Central Oregon District Annual Report)
2009: During the winter the 55-foot tower was removed.