May 3, 1934: "New lookout houses and towers will be built in the Siuslaw national forest this summer, it is announced by R.S. Shelley, supervisor.
In the Waldport district a tower will be built on Grass mountain and one on Canniibal mountain, both in the vicinity of the Alsea river." (Morning Oregonian - footnote 1)
1934: A lookout tower was constructed. (Six Twenty-Six)
Panorama photos taken
1951: A 42-foot timber tower with a 14x14 cab was constructed.
1963: A lookout ground cabin was constructed for a cost of $408.06. The costs were paid from the state restoration fund for the loss of the garage at the site during the October 12, 1962 wind storm.
1938: Western Lane FPA noted on their 1938 Annual Report that a lookout structure was needed at this point.
March 1942: "Green Peak lookout six miles west of Monroe will immediately build a 30-foot tower." (Forest Log)
1942: A shed was constructed at a cost of $150.44.
1950: A 14x14 three story enclosed lookout house was built.
1966: This station turned in four first discoveries during the fire season.
July 20, 1915: "The department is building a telephone line from the summit of Mary's Peak to the cabin at the water intake in Benton County. It is the intention to have a lookout man on the summit of the mountain." (The Morning Oregonian – footnote 1)
Senator Charles L. McNary was said to be interesting himself in the project." (News-Review - Roseburg)
1937: Ken Burkholder was the first lookout on the peak. The lookout consisted of a tent camp and a fire finder mounted on a crude tri-pod. (From a December 2005 interview with Mr. Burkholder)
Panorama photos taken
June 1, 1940: "Siuslaw forest officials, whose headquarters are in Eugene, visited the 4000-foot peak 23 miles west of Corvallis and said today a 10-mile stretch of road to the summit would soon be completed. The extension leaves the Alsea highway as it crosses the summit of the range.
The road up the mountain will be utilized by loggers as well as pleasure seekers and a combination lookout and observation building will be constructed at the top. Parking space for 500 cars will be provided." (Klamath News)
In connection with the development of improvements on the summit, the City of Corvallis donated to the government the NW 1/4 NW 1/4 of Sec. 28, Twp. 12 S, R. 7 W. and leased to the government its other lands on the summit." (A History of the Siuslaw National Forest)
December 29, 1946: "Vandals have been causing considerable destruction of government property in the park area on the summit of Mary's peak, according to Siuslaw National Forest Supervisor Fred Furst, and unless the practice is curbed it may become necessary to close the road leading to the top except at times when guards are on duty in the park area.
Furst said most of the damage had been done with guns and consisted mostly in wanton shooting out of windows in rest rooms and in the forest lookout station. Broken windows in the lookout have allowed rain and snow to enter, warping the floor. Twenty-three out of 30 windowpanes in one rest room have been shot out and the initials F.G. shot into the walls. All water faucets from the water system in the camping area have been stolen." (The Sunday Oregonian - footnote 1)
September 26, 1956: "Reference is made to previous discussions with Mr. DiBenedette and to our 1955 request for replacement for the Mary's Peak lookout structure. Ranger Resler has submitted the attached sketch as a proposal for replacement, and the enclosed copy of Forester Ellson's memorandum appears to cover some good and practical thinking along that line. We know that the State is using concrete block construction in a number of their newer lookouts as a means of cutting down maintenance. The West Lane Fire Patrol Association has three scheduled for next year.
We would like to have Mr. DiBenedette's consideration of this proposal and his suggested plan. We favor a three-level structure such as is now in use but we do wonder if it would not be practical to provide a 36 inch overhang to eliminate the need for hinged shutters. Individual bonded plywood shutters could be provided which could be handled by one man. All local terrain is below the level of this station, therefore high window visibility is no great object." (Letter from Regional Forest to Supervisor, Siuslaw N.F.)
July 27, 1959: "The Bonneville power Administration has staked a claim to part of the top of Mary's peak, but its rights are being challenged by the U.S. Forest Service.
Under fire by Corvallis City Manager John F. Porter for failure to get together with the Siuslaw National Forest for a single building to house a forest service lookout and a BPA micro-wave station, Bonneville has posted a sign claiming about a 100 by 100-foot area on a 40-acre tract controlled by the Bureau of Land Management on top of the Coast Range mountain 20 miles west of here.
Pete Foils, assistant to the supervisor of Siuslaw, said the Forest Service will protest the right of Bonneville to occupy the tract. Porter has already opposed granting BPA a permit to the area." (The Oregonian - footnote 1)
His recommendation is that the post be established in the N 1/2 of the SE 1/4 of Section 36, Township 10 South, Range 6, West. This site is 900 feet from the end of a graveled road, but would require construction of approximately 1,800 feet of road to reach the proposed site. About 5 miles of telephone line will be required to connect with a commercial switchboard. The site has been logged over and will require the falling of approximately 25 to 30,000 feet of snags and timber in order to get clear vision.
Mr. Walker picked the site having in mind the future establishment of a lookout station. It would take an 80 to 100 foot tower on the site if it were to be used for fire detection. However, Mr. Walker recommends that a ground station be established which would be satisfactory for an AWS Station and it would not be necessary to built a tower for that purpose.
The land is privately owned, and it will be necessary for thew State to acquire the site for the buildings. We do not anticipate trouble in acquiring this land.
No further action will be taken towards establishing this station until final approval is received from you." (A letter to James Frankland, Assistant Regional Forester from the State Forester)
August 12, 1942: "The location of Price Observation Post (Albany 95), tentatively called Arboretum until an exact location for the post could be selected, is approved its location very nicely fills in the gap which the Fourth Fighter Command requested to be filled.
Approval is given to construct the 1800 feet of road at the end of the graveled road mentioned. It is expected that the road will be low standard. Approval is also given to construct the five miles of grounded telephone line to the nearest commercial switchboard, to do minor clearing work necessary, and erect buildings as follows:
1. Build a 16x18 ground house on the same plan as the regular garage, except that more windows are to be provided and garage doors eliminated. The building can serve as a garage later. The building is to be sealed in and floored, and used as the living quarters.
2. Build a 10x12 storage building, also sealed in for miscellaneous storage and sleeping quarters.
3. Build a woodshed for storing approximately six cords of wood. The rest of the winter's wood supply could be cut and stored as needed.
Before work is started the State Board of Forestry is expected to obtain title to the land and necessary easement for the road, if required.
Construction and activation of this post at an early date will be appreciated. Please inform us two or three days in advance of the time the post is manned, giving us the telephone connection so we can inform the Army in time for it to mail the observer's kit and other instructions." (A letter from James Frankland, USFS Engineering to the State Forester)
September 9, 1942: "Reference is made to my memorandum of August 12 regarding the improvements approved for Price Observation Post.
It will be entirely satisfactory to this office if you were to use a portable building at this station. However, if you are unable to obtain the portable building you planned, please substitute the 18x20 standard AWS building which we recently designed." (A memorandum to the State Forester from James Frankland USFS Engineering)