July 16, 1915: "Ernest W. Smith came home Saturday evening and went back to Lodgepole Sunday night. He and Assistant Ranger W.L. Jones made a trip to Devils Peak Monday and Messrs. Jones and Smith will be assisted in the work by Messrs. Frank Carson, Stanley Spencer and William Hughes." (Medford Sun)
1915: The lookout at this time consists of an 'Iron Mine' telephone and a crude temporary alidade whittled from shakes, with E.W. Smith as lookout man.
September 12, 1915: "Ray Parker, lookout-man on Rustler Peak, discontinued his work there yesterday afternoon and went over to Devils Peak to visit his cousin, Assistant Ranger Smith, who is lookout-man there." (Medford Sun)
September 29, 1915: "E.W. Smith was moved from Devil Peak to Lodgepole. His wife left Saturday noon for Lodgepole to be with him for some time." (Mail Tribune)
August 11, 1916: "Merle Brainard takes the lookout station on Devils Peak, occupied last year by Ernest Smith who is now stationed on Elk Creek, above the hatchery." (Medford Sun)
August 14, 1916: "Mr. and Mrs. Murel Brainard came down from the Parker ranch Wednesday for supplies. Mr. Brainard went to Devil's Peak Thursday where he is stationed as lookout." (Mail Tribune)
September 5, 1916: "Muriel Brainard came down from Devil's Peak Friday." (Mail Tribune)
1923: "Bert Gray was the first man to succeed in taking a pack horse up to the top of the mountain, at that time a very hazardous undertaking. The climb up the steep mountain side being one to tax the nerve of a veteran."(The Klamath News - July 8, 1936)
July 22, 1930: "A new ready-made lookout station building for the Crater National Forest which is being built by the forest service at Portland will arrive here July 24. This building is for the lookout point on Devils Peak on the south fork of the Rogue River, and will be placed on a concrete foundation and installed this summer. This point has never had a lookout building, the lookout has been stationed in a tent." (Mail Tribune)
July 23, 1930: "New forest lookout stations are being erected on four peaks in the Crater national forest this month, forest officials announce. The buildings which arrive here ready made from service headquarters in Portland." One of these structures will be placed on Devils Peak. (Morning Oregonian - see footnote 1)
August 11, 1930: "Adrian Broill of Ashland, a packer in the Crater National Forest service while packing some material into the forest lookout on Devil's Peak on the cascade divide this morning, was bitten by a scorpion on the hand. The bite of a scorpion is very poisonous, much like that of a rattlesnake, and no time was lost in combating the wound. First aid was given by the forest guard attached to the Seven Mile ranger station, who administered treatment like that used for rattlesnake bite, and a short time later Broill was hurried to the government physician at the Klamath Indian Agency who administered further treatment. At noon today the Crater national forest headquarters here received a report from the Indian agency that Broill was in good condition and would be able to resume regular duty in the forest sometime today." (Mail Tribune)
September 1930: The lookout station was under construction.
July 10, 1933: "On Monday, Ranger Elgan will establish the lookout at Devil's Peak, the last station to be manned before the real summer fire menace begins. He declares that the season looks very good, and that a minimum number of fires are expected since snow and water are still plentiful in the mountains." (The Evening Herald)
July 28, 1933: Panorama photos were taken by Moe and Rittenhouse.
July 13, 1935: "Carl Cobleigh, Butte Falls, a veteran of 15 years in forestry work, will spend the summer on Devils Peak." (Mail Tribune)
August 26, 1941: "Norman Hayes Jr., Rogue River National Forest lookout at Devil's Peak, sat down and figured today that he walked 79 miles and rode horseback 16 miles looking for his wrist watch, a graduation gift, which he lost in the forest last June 2. Hayes found the watch yesterday, the rain giving him a chance to leave his station to take another look around in the area where he thought he had dropped it. He previously had hiked and ridden time and again without finding the watch." (Medford Mail Tribune)
1969: The lookout station, no longer needed, was set afire by the Forest Service.
Rogue River National Forest / Winema National Forest - 33S-7 1/2E
1961 - Klamath Ranger District Collection
2007 - Ron Kemnow photo
June 30, 1949: "Grange Hall tower at Fort Klamath has been assigned to Mr. and Mrs. Brady Broxson. This station overlooks the east slope of the Cascade Range from Crater Lake south to Pelican Butte and the state controlled Yawkey Tract." (Herald and News)
September 28, 1949: "One forest service lookout has been called back into service, but others in the Klamath district are still seasonally laid off. The forestry office said today. KFPA lookouts are still on the job. The lookout back in service is at Ft. Klamath. During Monday's storm another lookout was stationed at Pelican Butte, but was called back when the storm subsided. The rest of the lookouts will be laid off until either the season is declared over or fire danger increases." (Herald and News)
July 27, 1950: "Permits for entrance into this area may be obtained at the Fort Klamath lookout and the Rangers office in the post office building." (Herald and News)
1958: An all steel lookout tower was constructed at the southwest edge of the town of Fort Klamath.
September 17, 1961: "Observation spot - This forest service tower is located just about a block off the highway that runs through Fort Klamath, and surveys the majestic region of the Wood River Valley." (Herald and News)
1970: The lookout tower was airlifted to Sugarpine Mountain. Where it made the lookout on Round Butte obsolete and reduced the need for having a tower on Yamsay Mountain.
Fremont National Forest - 38S-12E-01
c.1944: Secondary, short lived lookout point. The lookout sat in his vehicle.
May be the same as Parker Mountain.
1930: "Made a very difficult road around and to the summit of Grizzly Mountain." (23rd Annual Report, KFPA)
June 3, 1931: "A regular lookout was stationed on Grizzly Peak in the Jenny Creek section." (The Evening Herald)
GROUND OBSERVER CORPS
At the Klamath FPA Headquarters
1959: " At the annual meeting in this office on March 23, 1955, the Board of Directors gave the Aircraft Warning Service (Ground Observer Corps) their permission to construct a 10x10 observation tower on our premises with the stipulation that in case the tower was ever abandoned the structure would become the property of the Klamath Forest Protective Association. This tower was turned over to us on January 1, 1959. This building can now be used as a training tower for new lookouts." (Klamath-Lake District ODF Annual Report 1958)
Long-Bell Timber Company / Klamath FPA - 32S-11E-24
2007 - Ron Kemnow photo
1922: The Calimus Butte Lookout was connected to the Long Bell forest guard and Lookout on the Long Bell timber holdings within the reservation. This lookout was located on the summit of Hambleton Butte.
1951: The lookout house was moved from Chase Mountain by the Klamath FPA. The 8x8 cabin had a wood and stone foundation. The living quarters were in a converted Weyerhaeuser Company bus, the dimensions of the cabin were 7x14 feet, the walls and ceiling were insulated and the exterior was painted white.
1958: The radio number for this lookout was 566.
June 10, 1963: "At the Hamilton Butte guard station, in the King's Cabin area, winds of 35 mph with gusts up to 65 mph were register." (Herald and News)
February 4, 1965: The Weyerhaeuser Company granted the Klamath FPA a permit to construct, operate and maintain existing installations for the purpose of fire prevention and suppression. This is one of four lookouts on Weyerhaeuser lands.
June 9, 1965: "Lightning set a snag afire at Deep Creek, south of Yamsay Mountain, during a weak storm which blew into the county Monday night, the KFPA reported Tuesday. The fire was detected by guards at the Hambleton Butte Lookout station about 6:15 p.m. and crews were dispatched immediately from Kings Cabin Guard Station to extinguish it. KFPA noted that the fire crews had suppressed the blaze before 9 p.m." (Herald and News)
1966: No fires were reported this year. The State placed radios on Yamsay Mountain and Bald Mountain, this cooperation provided good coverage of the Kings Cabin area.
June 19, 1968: "The Butte is the site of a lookout tower which is no longer manned regularly because adequate coverage is provided from other lookout stations in the area. During times of intense electrical storms or poor visibility a guard from Kings Cabin Guard Station is assigned to the tower to watch for signs of fire throughout the critical period." (Herald and News)
Klamath FPA - 38S-9E-25
August 2006 - Ron Kemnow photo
April 25, 1947: "
Hal Ogle of the KFPA has made a survey to determine how the
association’s fire fighting program can be stepped up in
effectiveness. One result of this survey was the decision to erect a
lookout on Hogback Mountain, and a new road has just been completed
to the top of that eminence. Quick,
accurate detection, and rapid communication and transportation are
major factors in an effective program, Ogle said." (Herald
May 2, 1947:
“KFPA Pushes Construction Of Fire Tower On Hogback” "The
40-foot lookout tower under construction on top of 6300-foot Hogback
Mountain is the biggest job being done by KFPA in its fire prevention
crew of five men built the 1100 foot stretch to the top where the
tower will be in eight days. It is still a little bumpy in spots and
there are rocks which must be blasted out, but the road is passable. Actual
work started on the tower last Monday, with two carpenters Burkhard
and Shortgen contractors, and two laborers on the job. One side of
the tower was almost completed Thursday and the cement “shoes”
poured for the 12-inch diameter red fir corner posts to stand in.
The side will be raised by Tuesday Shortgen expects, then the other
three sides will be built. The
whole tower should be up by the end of next week, Shortgen said.
With only a few details left for the following week. A trap-door
will be made in the tower floor through which the lookout can draw up
the supplies brought to him a couple times a week. A
colossal view is to be had from the top of Hogback, and it is
expected to become one of the points of interest to tourist when the
road is improved enough for casual travel. Hal Ogle, superintendent
of KFPA believes. The view takes in Swan Lake, Tulelake, Upper
Klamath Lake, Ewauna Lake, Pelican Bay, Weyerhaeuser Company, and all
of Klamath Falls. Even the top of Sugarloaf Mountain in Northern
California can be seen from Hogback and with 40 feet added to the
height of the mountain by the tower, a wide range of territory can be
supervised during fire season. Two
men working with a cat are clearing brush from the mountain top and
it is planned to build railing at one point where the drop is
straight down but the view across the city is superlative.
water for drinking purposes and for pouring cement or other uses must
be brought up the mountain a distance of five and one-half miles from
the edge of town." (Herald
Jack Dale was the first lookout on the new tower.
May 27, 1948: "
Jack Dale will keep the light burning on Hogback again this year.
He opened this lookout station last year when he was just 18 and his
wife and baby stayed on the mountain top with him. He has been
working in a lumber mill during the winter and this year his wife
will stay in town with the baby who is beginning to walk now. Dale
went up the mountain today, Thursday, to fix the post for occupancy
and the light will shine again Friday night for the first time this
season if everything goes according to schedule." (Herald
May 27, 1949: "
The 35 members of KFPA personnel attending [fire school] went up to
the lookout station on Hogback Mountain early this morning to spend
the day studying compass and pacing, field problems, fire-chasing,
fighting and control." (Herald
August 4, 1950:
“KFPA Explains Flash Mystery” Mysterious
flashing signals from the top of Hogback Mountain east of town and
from the top of the hills to the west have been giving Klamath
residents a case of war jitters reminiscent of Jap-balloon days. But
the answer was found to be the night dispatcher at KFPA headquarters
on the hill above the Ashland-Weed junction – who has been
signaling the lookout on top of Hogback Mountain. The
lookout, Mike Beldraine, at first could only swing his overcoat in
front of the lookout lantern but now he’s modernized, and has a
battery set hooked up to an old car light. Dick
Griffiths, the KFPA night man, has a blinker set devised to make
signaling easy." (Herald
May 23, 1963: "
Vandalism of the Hogback Mountain lookout station sometime last
weekend has been estimated at more than $120 in damage, the KFPA
reported Thursday. It
was the third time since last winter that quarters of the KFPA have
been the subject of vandalism, according to George Wardell,
supervisor of the association. Wardell
said that the miscreants stood outside the tower and discharged their
rifles up through the floor of the station. They
also tore a hand railing and a number of steps from the building,
burned down the restroom nearby, and broke into the tower, where they
picked up various items and threw them onto the ground below. A
crew has been assigned to repair damage to the lookout, Wardell said." (Herald
August 1, 1963: "
The fire guard at Hogback Mountain is alive today because a state
radio maintenance man called at the lookout tower and found the
stricken guard lying on the floor, about 11 a.m., Wednesday. The
guard was William A. Beck, 66, stricken with a hemorrhaging ulcer,
who was removed from Hogback to the Old Fort Road by the County
Disaster Unit and from there transferred to Peace Ambulance and taken
to Hillside Hospital. Beck’s
condition was listed as improved, a hospital spokesman said early
of the KFPA suspected that something was amiss at the Hogback lookout
about 10 a.m. when Beck failed to radio his usual weather report to
association headquarters. George Wardell, supervisor of the KFPA,
remarked Thursday. A
guard from another lookout station transmitted his weather
information to the KFPA radio office and disclosed that he had not
heard Beck give his morning report. Beck, who apparently heard the
conversation over his receiver, cut in and remarked, “Everything’s
all right up here.” But he did not follow up the comment with his
weather report. The
KFPA dispatched then alerted Wally Raker, state radio maintenance man
who was working in the radio shack beneath the Hogback lookout tower,
to check on Beck. Raker then walked up to the tower and found the
guard on the floor. Beck
has been a KFPA employee for the past seven years and until this year
he had served in the Shake Butte lookout, near Bly." (Herald
A new trap door was installed.
June 5, 1967: "
George Wardell KFPA supervisor, said that a bolt from the same
storm struck one of two antennas on the radio system at Hogback
Mountain lookout tower and blasted it to bits. Wardell remarked that
a three-foot fragment was all that remained of the antenna valued at
New siding was installed on the lookout cabin. Three fires were
reported from this station in 1968.
On October 16, the Hogback Mountain lookout reported a fire which
led to the discovery of another fire with two more being set late in
the evening in the Orendale draw area. A transient in the vicinity
of the fires was apprehended and later committed to a mental
Annual Report, Klamath-Lake District ODF)
Five fires were reported from this station. Two sections of the
stairway were replaced.
May 17, 1974: "
Extensive damage was done to the KFPA Hogback Mountain lookout in
what was termed “the worst incident of malicious damage we’ve
ever had.” According
to Bud Van Hoy, KFPA assistant district forester, between $1400 and
$1500 worth of damage was done in the past two weeks at the lookout
located near the old Oregon Tech campus. All
windows were broken while stoves, furniture, bedding and “anything
loose or which could be pulled loose” was thrown from the lookout. Repairs
are expected to take about two weeks. Besides property damages, Van
Hoy estimated labor costs for repairs will also run between $1400 and
$1500. Damages were discovered by a radio equipment inspector
earlier this week but KFPA was not informed until Thursday." (Herald
The lookout was condemned and burned to the ground.
A new tower was constructed by Oregon Department of Forestry
personnel, using the tower removed from Sycan Butte near Silver Lake.
The amount budgeted for the new tower was $19,000. The lookout site
was not used for fire detection this year.
Radio communication base station was replaced. The old equipment
was well over 20-years old and the district was experiencing
equipment failure during the past three fire seasons." (1991
Annual Report, Klamath-Lake District ODF)
STATION DESCRIPTION DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1948 SEE STATION HOGBACK STATION RECOVERY (1967) RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1967 (CAA) STATION IS LOCATED ON A PROMINENT RIDGE, KNOWN AS HOGBACK MOUNTAIN, 4 MILES NORTHEAST OF KLAMATH FALLS, 1-1/2 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF THE OLD MARINE BARRACKS, NOW KNOWN AS THE OREGON VOCATIONAL SCHOOL. TO REACH FROM THE COURT HOUSE IN KLAMATH FALLS, GO NORTHEAST ON MAIN STREET 0.45 MILE TO WHERE MAIN STREET BEARS RIGHT, CONTINUE ON MAIN STREET, EAST AND NORTHEAST 0.55 MILE TO ALAMEDA AVENUE (JUST AFTER CROSSING A CANAL). CROSS ALAMEDA AVENUE AND GO NORTHEAST ON OLD FORT ROAD FOR 2.6 MILES TO THE ENTRANCE TO THE OLD MARINE BARRACKS, CONTINUE AHEAD 0.15 MILE TO A POWER SUB STATION AND A NARROW PAVED ROAD ON THE RIGHT. TURN RIGHT 0.1 MILE TO WHERE ROAD CURVES TO THE RIGHT AND A LOCKED WIRE MESH GATE ON THE LEFT. TURN LEFT THROUGH GATE AND GO SOUTHERLY ON BLADED ROAD FOR 0.95 MILE TO A CROSS ROAD, TURN SHARP LEFT, UP HILL FOR 0.4 MILE TO A FORK, TAKE RIGHT FORK AND FOLLOW BLADED ROAD SOUTHERLY FOR 2.0 MILES TO TOP OF HILL AND STATION. STATION IS A WOODEN STRUCTURE APPROXIMATELY 40 FEET HIGH. THE POINT INTERSECTED WAS THE CENTER OF TOWER.
May 13, 1913: "On District 11 (Sevenmile).....and one man as lookout man on Klamath Point are planned for this upcoming season. It is hoped that our improvement fund will permit of the construction of a telephone line to the top of Klamath Point. With this lookout the district will be pretty well cared for, and besides one adjoining district will be largely covered from this station." (From a letter from M.L. Erickson, Forest Supervisor, Crater National Forest, outlining improvements to be made.) (History of the Rogue River National Forest, Vol. 1)
Rogue River National Forest / Winema National Forest - 30S-7E-07
2007 - Ron Kemnow photo
March 27, 1942: "The appropriation of $1600 CCC sub-appropriation V to cover purchase of materials for the Lookout Butte project is noted and appreciated. However, no approved Form R6-01 has been received to clear action on purchases or construction. Assuming that approval will be granted, we would appreciate purchase, by your office, of a standard creosoted 40' lookout tower, plan CT-3 as portrayed on page 118A in the Acceptable Bridge Plans Handbook, lookout section. If a different height tower is favored, the same type of structured is desired. The 14x14 house is now in stock on this forest." (Memorandum for Regional Forester from Forest Supervisor Rogue River National Forest)
July 11, 1949: "Ray Antley on Lookout Butte with Rex Morehouse and two men from the Lake of the Woods fire suppression crew fought a fire which had apparently been started by a cigarette and burned one-half acre of lodgepole pine before it was brought under control." (Herald and News)
U.S. Marine Corps
1945 - Herald and News, Klamath Falls
August 5, 1944: "Two groups of saddle horses have been obtained for the use of the Marines at the Klamath Falls barracks, Col. B. Dubel, commanding officer, announced today. One is a group of Government mounts, received from the Army remount service and will be used to maintain fire patrols along firebreaks and crests of hills surrounding the barracks, and, in case of emergency, to dispatch firefighting parties to the immediate scene of grass and forest fires. The patrol, with a detachment of marines on duty as riders, will be continuous during the fire season, Colonel Dubel said. These animals will also be used in training troops in mounted combat patrol work. The type of duty Marines have often been called upon to perform in the past. In fact, “Horse Marine” outfits have long been famous in China, Hawaii and other Marine Corps stations." (Herald and News)
August 6, 1945: "The caption under two pictures: Surveying the Klamath basin area from a height of about 5500 feet is the new fire lookout built near the Marine barracks and manned by men from the installation. In the upper picture, PFC George Goleash of Springfield, Ill., is on watch, and the lower photo shows a view of the complete tower. Three men are at this fire tower for 24 hours a day about a hundred yards from the lookout there is a tent, outdoor grill, and cooking facilities for use of the men on duty there. The tower is connected by telephone to the fire house at the barracks." (Herald and News)
1946: The Marine Barracks was closed and apparently the lookout was no longer used.
Klamath Indian Agency / Winema National Forest - 36S-7E-13
1937 - National Archives, Seattle
2007 - Ron Kemnow photo
April 1, 1935: "Narrative justification of projects proposed for 1935. No. 60- Steel tower and cabin Modoc Point: Tower to be 80' and cabin for lookout quarters. The composite seen and unseen area map shows considerable blind areas, which this station would cover in addition to the very hazardous areas in the Chiloquin Ridge sections. It would also cover a large part of Barclay Springs area, where serious fires occur every season. Improvements will be on Tribal lands." (Conservation Working Plan Report)
1935: "A project proposal: To construct a steel tower and cabin on Modoc Point, five men needed, estimated cost $2,700.00." (Conservation Working Plan Report)
1936: "In 1935 an 80-foot steel tower was purchased from the Aermotor Company of Chicago, Illinois, upon approval of this project. It has developed since and on the basis of profile consideration that at this point a 12-=foot tower is required to obtain a minimum of adequate coverage of unseen areas to the east, south and west of this point. An 80-foot tower is insufficient here to cover dangerous areas particularly to the south and west. The addition of forty feet to the base of the tower on hand can be effected by the original manufacturer. This extension, together with increased foundation, shipping. And erection costs is estimated at $1000 on the basis of figures submitted by the manufacturer." (Annual Forestry Report 1936)
August 19, 1936: "Project 107: This truck trail is now complete but will require considerable blading and some minor improvement work after the loose soil has stood over winter and had opportunity to pack. Last year I reported the need of a competent truck trail locator. Such need was borne out by the fact that some of this trail had to be rebuilt to improve grade and curvature in order to be of any service. Project 60 (tower erection): Preparations are now being made for the construction work upon this project. It is located in a very bad fire hazard area."(A letter from Associate Forester to the Commissioner of Indian Affairs)
November 30, 1936: The 12x16 living quarters cabin was completed.
1937: "Completion of Modoc Point Lookout Tower. In 1935 an 80-foot steel tower was purchased from the Aermotor Company of Chicago, Illinois. After purchase was made it was determined by profile survey of the lookout point that this tower should have been 120 feet in height, therefore, funds were required to purchase the necessary 40-foot extension. This purchase was approved as a part of the July, 1939, to March 31, 1937, program, and payment will be made from fund 4-07621. The funds now requested will cover the purchase of foundation material, transportation and erection of this tower."(Conservation working plan report 1937)
September 25, 1937: "The steel fire lookout tower recently erected by CCC-ID at Modoc Point was visited. The lookout’s cabin has been completed in good shape and the tower is complete with the exception of the installation of the guy wires and the wires foe lightning protection. Mr. Mack stated that the wires will be installed in the very near future."(From a report to the Commissioner of Indian Affairs)
August 1, 1940: "Two fires caused by careless smokers occurred Sunday, July 28, on the Klamath Reservation. One about a mile northwest of Modoc Point Lookout was controlled by grazing permitees and Indian Service officers before it got under way." (Chiloquin Review)
September 17, 1959: Advertisement for bids, Klamath Tribes, a 120 foot steel tower with a 12x16 cabin. (The Oregonian - footnote 1)
October 30, 1968: "The Modoc Point lookout buildings have been sold to Mr. Jim Stewart of Lakeview, Oregon, for $35. The contract specifies removal by December 30, 1969." (Memo to Regional Forester from Forest Supervisor, Winema)
Walker Range Patrol - 24S-11E-07
July 2007 - Ron Kemnow photo
1940: The lookout was held in emergency status by the Walker Range Patrol with telephone communications with LaPine.
Crater Lake National Park - 30S-71/2E
no date - Crater Lake National Park Collection
2005 - Ron Kemnow photo
December 24, 1924:"Mr. Howarth, following a meeting with Colonel Thomson, suggested that we should cooperate in dividing the salary and other annual expense of a lookout on Mount Scott beginning next spring; that the Park people should establish a telephone connection on top of the mountain and at the home cabin below; that the Park people might be willing to build both the lookout house and home cabin at water." (Letter to H. Rankin, Crater National Forest, from Supt., Klamath Agency)
June 23, 1925: "Colonel Thomson today proposed to our Mr. Zeh that Lester Smith begin work July first in his crew constructing telephone line to Mount Scott, believing Smith would be established on top as lookout by July fifth. Colonel Thomson has no funds for paying Smith these first few days and we can pay him first fifteen days in July if you can pay him last fifteen days. Is this satisfactory?"(Western Union Telegram from J.A. Howarth, Klamath Agency to Hugh Rankin, Crater National Forest)
March 10, 1925: " For lookout on Mt. Scott, near Crater Lake, we have an understanding with the Superintendent of Crater Lake National Park that when funds are available he will build there a lookout house and telephone connections thereto and a similar agreement with the Superintendent of the Crater National Forest provides that he is to appoint the lookout and pay half of his time, at $110 per month, - we paying the other half of his time at the same rate. The Superintendent of the Park has also agreed that he will provide for transporting provisions to this lookout so that the man can live day and night on the top of the mountain and need not camp a few miles away from his lookout station. The office is probably aware of the advantages of Mt. Scott as a lookout, - it being much higher than any of the reservation mountains and only about five miles from our boundary."(Recommendations to the Commissioner of Indian Affairs)
August 3, 1925: " We have paid Lester Smith, Lookout on Mt. Scott, for the period from July 1 to 15th, inclusive, at $3.75 per day, leaving the balance of the month to be paid by you at whatever rates you are allowed to pay. The arrangement mentioned in your letter of July 30th is satisfactory, whereby we will pay him for the first fifteen days in August and you will take care of the balance of the month." (Letter to Hugh Rankin, Crater National Forest from J.A. Howarth, Klamath Agency)
November 5, 1925:"Since the Crater Lake Park improvement plan calls for a lookout house and the completion of a first class telephone line to the top of Mount Scott, I am willing to try this peak as a lookout for another season. We would be very glad to have direct communication with the Fort Klamath telephone exchange, as we now have a direct connection through our Seven Mile Ranger Station." (Letter to the superintendent of the Klamath Agency from the Supervisor of the Crater National Forest)
February 6, 1926: "We desire to improve telephone connections between our lookouts and those of the Crater National Forest. We have, in recent conference with Supervisor Rankin of that Forest and Col. C.G. Thomson, Superintendent of the Crater Lake National Park, agreed, subject to Indian Office approval, to extend our Marsh line from its present terminus at the East Entrance to the parkthree or three and one half miles further to the Lost Creek Cabin, using No. 8 galvanized iron wire, - which size wire Col. Thomson insists be used within the park boundaries. We have also agreed to maintain the present park line from Lost Creek Cabin north to Mt. Scott, and in return Col. Thomson has agreed that, when not in communication with his headquarters, the switch at the Lost Creek Cabin shall be closed so as to connect Mt. Scott directly with our Marsh line and Calimus Butte. As the office is aware, Mt. Scott is a cooperative lookout, the station to be built and maintained by the Park Service and the lookout man being paid half time by the Supervisor of Crater National Forest and by myself. Last season the telephone service with this lookout was poor because the park ranger at the East Entrance was not always within hearing of the bell to give us the switch and because the park lines were not well constructed or maintained."(Letter to the Commissioner of Indian Affairs from the Superintendent of the Klamath Agency)
March 3, 1926: "As you know, we undertook last year to organize a lookout station on Mt. Scott cooperatively with the Forest and Indian Services. Prior to that our fire protection had all been through the courtesy of the Forest Service, we having no lookouts whatsoever but being protected nearly 100% by various mountain lookouts surrounding the Park. The Mt. Scott effort was our contribution to the general good, although the benefit to the Forest Service is comparatively slight, the Indian Service reaping probably 90% of its usefulness. Under this arrangement the Park Service furnished tent quarters, necessary furniture, fire finding apparatus, telephone communication, and packing service to the lookout. The Forest and Indian Services jointly paid the salary of the incumbent. Frankly, we did not do very well last summer as we did not succeed in establishing satisfactory telephone communication until July 20th, and for various reasons the lookout was not very useful. However, we expect to do much better this year and I believe the Bureau of Budget allowed $800 for a small cabin to be built in July."(From a letter to the Director of the National Park Service from the Crater Lake National Park Superintendent)
September 27, 1927: "Mr. L.O. Wright, Lookout, came down from Mount Scott September 9th. We have paid him one half of his time, and enclose for settlement by you time report for the first 4 ½ days. As Mr. Wright is now working for us irregularly a check forwarded here can be delivered to him."(Letter to H. Rankin, Crater National Forest from L.D. Arnold, Klamath Agency)
September 8, 1928: "The lookout on Mt Scott has reported 7 fires on the reservation, 1 on the Crater National Forest and 2 on Association territory during the month of August."(Memorandum for the Superintendent Klamath Agency)
February 8, 1929: "During the month of January the fire tools have been gotten in readiness for the next season. A cooperative agreement has been established between the Association and the Indian Service in which the Association agrees to pay the cost of the Mt. Scott lookout for the next two seasons."(Memo for the Superintendent Klamath Agency)
May 3, 1929:"I have your letter of April 23rd regarding the Mt. Scott lookout. I note what you say regarding Mr. Wright’s desire to do carpenter work necessary in completing this station. It is entirely agreeable to me to have this work done by him. It might be well, perhaps, for us to furnish additional help so that this work might be completed without to much delay. This is merely a suggestion. I will discuss this fully with Mr. Rankin. I assume that this work will start about July 1st at which time we hope to have the materials on the ground."(Letter to Supt. Arnold, Klamath Agency from Supt., Crater National Forest)
August 11, 1929: Panorama photos were taken by W.B.O.
September 30, 1929: " Mr. L.O. Wright, lookout on Mt. Scott this past season did considerable carpenter work on the lookout house for which he claims 8 days at the rate of $6.00 per day; making a total of $48.00. Mr. Space inspected the work done by Mr. Wright and he reports it to be a first class job. Mr. Wright will be working out of this Agency for some time and his address will be Klamath Agency, and send all correspondence in care of Mr. R.H. Bitney."(Letter to Superintendent, Crater National Forest from L.D. Arnold, Klamath Agency)
June 8, 1931: "In Crater Lake National Park, the Mt. Scott lookout will take up his work Monday of watching for smoke from forest fires. This station is on top of the highest peak of the park, and covers a wide range both within the park and outside the park boundaries. Part of the territory covered is a section of forest and canyons not visible from other high points – hence the importance of this station in spotting smokes from fires before they shall have become conflagrations. Let even a suspicion of smoke be seen, and this lookout’s warning goes out to the forest service office in Medford, to the Klamath Indian Agency, or to park headquarters, often to all three, according to the location of the smoke. Every evening he makes a report to the offices below, on the progress of fires previously reported, or that no smoke has been discerned throughout the day."(The Evening Herald)
June 9, 1931: "In Crater Lake National Park, the lookout on Mt Scott took up his work of watching for smoke from forest fires Monday. This station is on top of the highest peak of the park, and covers a wide range both within the park and outside the park boundaries. Let even a suspicion of smoke be seen, and this lookout’s warning goes out to the forest service office in Medford, to the Klamath Indian Agency, or to park headquarters, often to all three, according to the location of the smoke. Every evening he makes a report to the office below, on the progress of fires previously reported, or that no smoke has been discerned throughout the day. This lookout station is a one-room building on the ground floor – which in this case is a rock floor – with an observatory above wherein are maps, pointer or finder, field glasses. Etc., - the usual equipment of such a station. And here, at 8938 feet altitude the lookout lives alone all summer in his eyrie, his only communication with the outside and lower world being his telephone, except on the rare occasion when a visitor pants afoot up the steep and rocky trail, or when supplies are brought up the mountain. For all supplies and materials needed by this lookout have to be transported to the station by way of the trail, even the water used being brought up by packhorse." (Medford Mail Tribune)
August 11, 1931: "A lookout station has been maintained for some time on Mt. Scott, 8939 feet high, but is unable to cover portions of the park discernible from the new lookout." (The Watchman)(Mail Tribune)
July 3, 1933: "William Morningstar will occupy the post at Mt. Scott, one of the most difficult stations in the district for visitors to reach. Three miles of trail must be traversed on foot from the end of the auto road." (The Evening Herald)
July 10, 1933: "Included in the work of instructing the CCC recruits, Ranger Elgan took a group of 13 boys from the Crater Lake camp with him to the summit of Mt. Scott early last week. The boys, according to Elgan, thought the climb, and especially the descent, were great fun. Many of them slid down steep snow slides, despite warnings of the danger involved, and a number of snow battles were in progress during the day." (The Evening Herald)
1934: The CCC moved a 1000 gallon water storage tank to the lookout. At a cost of $144.16, and 38 man days of labor were required to complete the job on September 4th.
July 13, 1935: "Mt Scott, second peak in importance in the district, will be occupied by Rowland Ulrich, Klamath Falls. This peak also is a co-operative lookout between Crater Lake National Park and the Klamath district (Rogue River National Forest)." (The Klamath News)
June 29, 1936: Another set of panoramas were taken by Moe.
April 25, 1938: "A recent discussion with Chief Ranger C. Couch disclosed the need of improving the appearance of the Mt. Scott fire lookout. The building has needed a new coat of paint on the exterior surface as well as the roof area. I have suggested this to make the structure more attractive as well as increase the life of the structure. It appears that about ten gallons of brown paint would properly do the job or possibly less, and several gallons of green paint would be needed for the roof. It might be possible to do this as a CCC material purchase or thru direct park purchase. If CCC enrollees are not used it might be desirable to employ the ranger on duty at the lookout as there should no doubt be sufficient time to do the work as a means of his daily work program. As one drives about the Rim Road the presence of the glaring white painted structure is predominate on the landscape. The building is in need of repair and this proposed painting would be part of the improvement. signed, Francis G. Lange, Resident Landscape Architect. On June 7th 20 gallons of paint were ordered." (Park Files Memo to Superintendent)
September 23, 1939: "The Mt. Scott Lookout which, so far as I can ascertain, was built some time in the 20’s, has taken a terrific beating from the elements on this peak, particularly during the winter months. It is the old cupola type of structure with living and storage quarters underneath the cupola which is only 6’ by 6’ square. The cupola is reached by an almost vertical ladder inside of the building from the lower room. Both the cupola and the living room are very cramped. At the time this lookout was constructed it conformed to the latest specifications for such buildings; but with the expanded uses and facilities of present day lookouts it does not meet the requirements. Visitors to the lookout, radio equipment, fire protection maps and plans and other present day developments can find no place in the present building. Mt. Scott represents one of the two detection points in the park absolutely required in fire protection. There is no point on the east side of the park inside or out which can replace Mt. Scott. This being the case, it would appear that the time has come to replace the present lookout structure with a modern building before the upkeep and maintenance cost of the present structure becomes prohibitive considering the initial cost of the investment. Your attention is directed to the present method of supplying water and sanitation for Mt. Scott. Several years ago, a wooden tank was erected on the peak just below the ridge top for the purpose of collecting the winter snows which, it was thought, would produce a water supply for the lookout. This method required an open top tank which failed to collect sufficient snow to produce a water supply and what water did collect became an attraction for rodents which collected therein. It is suggested that serious consideration be given to constructing a corrugated iron catchment and concrete tank system of a water supply for the mountain. A quarter of an acre catchment and a 1000-gallon tank would probably supply sufficient water for a seasons operation. Such a system, requiring as it does comparatively little maintenance, would liquidate itself in the course of a few seasons from a saving effected by the elimination of the present method of packing water to the lookout every two weeks and at times every week during the fire season. The present sanitation facilities for Mt. Scott consist of one pit toilet which is in fairly good condition and which in past years sufficed. With an increase in the number of visitors to this point made up of mixed groups, it is recommended that consideration be given to the installation of chemical toilets within the lookout itself, similar to the facilities in the Watchman. Such facilities could be installed in the lower part of the proposed structure and at the same time leave sufficient room for compressed gas installations and bulk storage. Signed Chief Ranger" (Park Files Memo to Superintendent)
October 5, 1939: "The Branch of Forestry feels that the existing lookout structure on Mt. Scott is in need of replacement as it is a building of ancient design and construction. This old type lookout house with a cupola on the roof for the placement of the fire finder and the observer and is now obsolete as it reduces the efficiency of fire detection. Too much time can be spent by an observer climbing back and forth from the cupola to his living quarters below. The Branch of Forestry recommends that a new structure replace the present building on Mt. Scott. signed Acting Regional Director." (Park Files Memo to Superintendent)
October 5, 1944: "I solicited, Chief Forester Coffman and Regional Forester Sanford, their support for the construction of a new fire lookout station on Mt. Scott to replace the inadequate, obsolete, dilapidated old building which has served its purpose long ago and should be replaced with a modern and more efficient building at the earliest practicable date. This is one of our very important lookout stations, valuable not only to Crater Lake National Park but to the Rogue River National Forest and Klamath Agency Indian Service, whose lands are adjacent to the park. The replacement of this old lookout building has been on our construction program and in our master plan for a long time. Mr. Coffman and Mr. Sanford both realize the importance of a new lookout building on Mt. Scott, and assured the park of their cooperation in securing it. Signed, Superintendent Leavitt. " (Park Files Memo for files)
December 15, 1946: "Structurally the plan seems sound to me and quite adaptable to the site on Mt. Scott. The advantages of cutting the entire building before cartage to the mountain are obviously many. There is only one point that is not clear to me with respect to the structure, and that pertains to the plywood floor. It may be that novelty of such construction is the thing that seems odd to me, but I for one should like more information on that particular detail. It is assumed that such a floor will be laid as a mosaic or in a tessellated fashion. With respect to the design, the first thing which struck me was the pitifully small amount of space for storage. No provision has been made for such things as flamo tanks, storage space for bulk provisions, water, etc. it would be too bad to clutter the observation room with such things. Then, too, if this prefabricated structure is placed on the mountain as shown, some visibility will be lost, since this building is not as high as the present structure or Watchman. It seems to me sufficiently important that consideration be given to designing a rock basement or rock wall footing which will serve as a basement on which to place this type of observation room. Such a basement with a door and windows would serve admirably for storage, flamo tank installation, and water tank if one is provided. Which brings up the point of water. I think we should make some arrangement by which the cartage of water could at least be reduced. It is well enough to design the lookout to reduce transportation to a minimum but we should look a little further ahead for a reduction of transportation required in the operation of this station. The least we can do, it seems to me, is to use the roof of this building for catchment purposes, install a pipe from there to a tank in the basement. Such water could be used for domestic purposes and would probably make it necessary to transport only water for drinking. Signed J.C. Crouch, Chief Ranger " (Park Files Memo to Superintendent)
July 21, 1949: "I was at Crater Lake from July 10th through the 12th. I visited the Mt. Scott lookout and found the station in even a worse dilapidated condition than it had been at the time of my last visit. It is a wonder that the building still stands, and the floor is so shaky that any accurate observation with a fire finder is impossible. The fire finder instrument is a very old model and in poor shape so that with the construction of a new lookout there should be a new fire finder. Signed B. Sanford, - Regional Forester." (Park Files Memo to Regional Director)
September 11, 1949: "The Mt. Scott lookout which, so far as I can find, was built around 1927, has taken a terrific beating from the elements on this peak, particularly during the winter months. It is the old cupola type structure with the living and storage space underneath the cupola. The cupola is reached by an almost vertical ladder which is attached to the ceiling of the living quarters and is swung up and hooked when not in use. Both the cupola and living quarters are very cramped. The cupola is 9’6” high from the floor to the peak of the roof and is 5’7” square immediately below the windows. Below the windows is a 12’6” square outside. The construction is frame with bevel edge siding outside and flat board inside. The floor is regular tongue and groove flooring. The general condition of the building is very poor. The outside was once painted brown but no vestige of paint now remains. The inside was long ago painted a dark green which coupled with only four small windows makes a very dark living quarters. The windows are located in the four sides but the one on the south has the top pane blocked out to allow the stove pipe to go through to the outside. The flooring is badly splintered making it very difficult to keep clean. The small wood stove is located along the south wall and has an unusable oven. Fires can be built in the stove only when the wind is from the North or East. If the wind is from the South or West, smoke fills the room when a fire is built. A small flamo three burner hot plate is located in the southwest corner of the living quarters but combustion has been very incomplete thus all cooking pans are covered with carbon. Wood for the stove has been very scarce being secured from old pieces of lumber and down branches. Storage space is very limited consisting only of one cupboard and a set of shelves. The bed is a rope spring affair built in the northeast corner of the room. The windows in the cupola are all loose and do not swing on their hinges as the screws have rotted out of the frame. The wind blows at will through cracks in the building making conditions very uncomfortable for any one in the quarters. The pit toilet is located fifty yards away on the northeast slope and has no door and has large cracks in the walls. The water supply is secured from snow remaining on the mountain and by packing it up from other sources. No model name or number was found on the fire finder but I’m sure it is an Osborne. A date on the base is 1917. The fire finder ring is broken, the tape has been repaired several times and is at present broken. There is no vertical angle on the instrument and map has warped due to dampness. The fire finder stand located in the cupola is 3’2” high by 1’7” wide by 11” deep and is constructed of 2” by 2” pieces for legs and 1” by 2” pieces for cross braces. The stand is only nailed to the floor. The rails for the fire finder are loose and can not be tightened due to the condition of the wood. The stand is very unstable and it would be impossible to get an accurate shot on a smoke especially if a wind was blowing. When the wind blows the cupola rocks and sways and the wind whistles through the cracks. Mt. Scott has had 180 visitors since the opening on July 9 to the closing on September 9. signed W.R. Howe, Park Ranger." (Park Files Memo to Chief Ranger Hallock)
September 14, 1949: "Some difficulty was experienced last week during the heavy lightning storms in securing effective service from the Mt. Scott lookout. This failure is in no way attributable to the personnel involved but is due to the condition of the building and its detection equipment. The lightning storms produced many strikes in the park and on adjacent Forest Service and Indian Agency lands directly visible to Mt. Scott. There were also several fires caused by this lightning on these lands which Mt. Scott lookout might have efficiently assisted in locating if the building was a stable one and the detection equipment of modern design. The lookout on duty, while reporting some of these lightning caused fires most faithfully, could not give accurate and dependable data. In one instance, the reported azimuth was 20 degrees in error. An effort was made to correct this but it could not be fully accomplished under the circumstances. The present structure is dangerous to personnel assigned to it because of the cupola design and the necessity of using a trap door entrance to the cupola. The lookout assigned to Mt. Scott this year was injured by falling through the open trap door. This feature should be entirely eliminated in any new structure. Signed L.W. Hallock, Chief Ranger." (Park Files Memo to Supervisor Leavitt)
February 16, 1950: "I was very surprised upon reading the 1951 Construction Program to find that the new Mount Scott Lookout had been omitted and, upon further inquiry, find that it has been placed in the 1952 program. The last time I was shown the Regional priorities the Mount Scott Lookout was at the top of the Crater Lake building program and I was assured that it would come up for construction during the 1951 fiscal year. Memoranda have been coming in from Crater Lake and from visiting foresters for the past several years commenting upon the condition of the old antiquated building now serving as a lookout and the inability of the lookout observer to take accurate sights on fires with his fire-finder in the shaky structure now in use. Each season for the past several years we have expected to find this old building completely wrecked and I feel that fire control in Crater Lake and the neighboring Forest Service and Indian Service areas which depend upon Mount Scott for the location of fires absolutely requires a new structure this coming season. Signed B. Sanford, Regional Forester." (Park Files Memo to Regional Director)
October 11, 1951: "Mt. Scott, in Crater lake national park, will get a new lookout when the snow goes out next spring, E.P. Leavitt, park superintendent, announced Wednesday. A 14-foot square frame building with shingled roof, a catwalk around the outside, propane gas for cooking, heating and lighting, and a 6-foot-high storage room underneath the building will replace the lookout erected by the forest service in 1924, Leavitt said. He added that bids will be advertised this fall. Construction will be with precut materials transported 2 ½ miles over trail from the road. Leavitt urged prospective bidders to apply to Superintendent, Crater lake national park, Medford, for specifications and to visit the site before snow falls to familiarize themselves with conditions on the peak." (The Oregonian)
August 6, 1952: “7 Park Fires From Storm” Crater Lake National Park had seven fires in the most resent thunderstorm – including those sleepers showing up this week, according to Chief Ranger Lou Hallock. The largest blaze was one-half acre, all are under control or out, he said. Mt. Scott lookout – almost 9,000 feet in the air – has been activated on a temporary basis after being shut down for several seasons. The lookout is being revamped this summer under a rebuilding project, the ranger reported." (Herald and News)
1952: A new fire lookout was constructed on Mt. Scott, replacing an old building originally erected in 1924 by the Forest Service, which was considered unsafe for further use. Southern Oregon Construction Company, Grants Pass, Oregon, was awarded a contract for this project in the amount of $12,603.29 on July 3, 1952. The contractor completed the job on September 26, 1952.
December 29, 1964: "At present water for Mt. Scott Lookout is obtained from snow through half of the summer. After the snow melts stored melt water is used until approximately the middle of August when water is hauled to the lookout by trail packer. This is somewhat expensive and the use motor equipment is objectionable. Also, water must be conserved carefully which is unpleasant, especially for hikers arriving at the lookout after the climb. Signed, R.A. Nelson, Superintendent." (Park Files Memo to Regional Director)
October 23, 1987: "After consultation with the Superintendent, he concurred in granting you permission to ride your horse up Mt. Scott on Sunday, October 25. This authorization is for one trip, one horse, and is granted because you cannot otherwise walk up the mountain. I have a little time Monday morning, so, I intend to take a look at the trail and see what impacts have been caused by this well deserved exception. I hope your trip is fulfilling and that you will be in touch again if we can be of service." (A letter from the Chief Ranger to Mr. David Willis of Ashland)
July 21, 1915: "Ranger South made a trip to the summit of Odell Butte to take observations regarding the advisability of establishing a lookout station at that point." (The Bend Bulletin, 'The Deschutes Ranger')
July 30, 1927: "An electric storm which swung northward over the high Cascades caused three forest fires, which were all under control today. One of the lightning fires was reported from Odell Butte." (The Bend Bulletin)
1927: Telephone connections were being completed to the lookout at the beginning of August.
August 13, 1927: "With compass needles thrown off from 10 to 20 degrees by local magnetic attraction, the temporary lookout stationed here is working under a handicap in reporting forest fires, it was learned here today in information received from local forest officials. To offset the local attraction, Leslie Colvill, in charge of the fire control work, was this morning making charts on which the erratic deviation of the magnetic needle can be rectified, through the orientation of the charts with mapped points." (The Bend Bulletin)
1928: On July 26th an emergency lookout was stationed.
August 12, 1929: "Due to heavy smoke the intermediate lookout was stationed."
1929: The 1930 Forest Service budget considers improvements including a permanent telephone line to Odell butte.
August 9, 1930: An emergency lookout was stationed.
December 1930: "Last summer the Odell Butte Emergency Lookout, Jack Benson, was confronted with a very unpleasant situation. Pack rats were attempting to carry off bodily both him and his camp. After many nights of ferocious battling and loss of sleep, he decided something must be done to rid the mountain of these unwelcome visitors. He tried many hand-fashioned traps, but the rats ignored them completely. When about to give up in despair, a tin can gave him a new idea. He took a can and cut the bottom crosswise, dividing it into quarters. These sharp-pointed quarters he pushed in, leaving an opening just large enough for the head of a rat. The principle of the trap was that a rat, upon sticking its head through the opening, would be securely held by the sharp points. Jack fixed one can, baited it, and then went to bed, hoping the trap would work. During the night he was awakened by the sound of a tin can being thumped on rocks. Investigation proved a rat was in his trap. Right then and there, Jack added six more traps to his list, baited them, and returned to bed in much better spirits. The next morning seven rats were found running around with tin can bells. It was not long until Jack could sleep peacefully all night. C.H. Overbay" (Six Twenty-Six)
December 1930: "A new use for the tin can. Last summer the Odell Butte Emergency Lookout, Jack Benson, was confronted with a very unpleasant situation. Pack rats were attempting to carry off bodily both him and his camp. After many nights of ferocious battling and loss of sleep, he decided something must be done to rid the mountain of these unwelcome visitors. He tried many hand-fashioned traps, but the rats ignored them completely. When about to give up in despair, a tin can gave him a new idea. He took a can and cut the bottom crosswise, dividing it into quarters. These sharp-pointed quarters he pushed in, leaving an opening just large enough for the head of a rat. The principle of the trap was that a rat, upon sticking its head through the opening, would be securely held by the sharp points. Jack fixed one can, baited it, and then went to bed, hoping the trap would work. During the night he was awakened by the sound of a tin can being thumped on rocks. Investigation proved a rat was in his trap. Right then and there, Jack added six more traps to his list, baited them, and returned to bed in much better spirits. The next morning seven rats were found running around with tin can bells. It was not long until Jack could sleep peacefully all night. Charles H. Overbay" (Six Twenty-Six)
1932: This station was designated as a precipitation recording point and will be supplied with a rain gauge.
August 13, 1932: "Material for the Odell Butte tower and lookout house will have to be transported to the top of the high peak with a pack string. That job will be started around September 1." (The Bend Bulletin)
1932 The 20-foot round timber tower with a 14x14 L-4 hip-roof lookout cab was completed at a cost of $1,334.37.
July 1, 1933: Panorama photos were taken by Snyder and Sarlin. Also a supplement photo was taken looking east from the east point of the butte.
1934: Merle Hamilton took over as replacement for Vernon Everett as lookout-fireman, who had cut his foot and was unable to perform his duties.
May 28, 1936: "Before leaving his station at the Odell Butte lookout this morning, John Clark telephoned to forest service headquarters here that four inches of snow covered that peak." (The Bend Bulletin)
1936: In June, hazard sticks, balanced scales and wind recording instruments were installed.
July 8, 1942: "With thunder clouds rolling over the Cascades, forest service men today packed the lookout up on Odell Butte, and thus completed the roster of lookouts manned in the Crescent district for 1942. Bill Jenkins of Gilchrist, only three weeks out from Mississippi, is the new lookout, replacing Johnnie Myers, who is the new headquarters fireman at Crescent." (The Herald and News)
April 20,1962: "The Odell Butte lookout station, constructed just short of 30 years ago, is to be replaced this summer with a standard lookout building, 14 by 14 feet on a tower 20 feet high. Bids will be called later in the season and the lookout will be built in the fall. Odell Butte, top of which is 7033 feet above sea level. A road built in connection with a timber sale now reaches within 0.9 of a mile from Odell Butte’s timbered top. This road will be extended to the summit prior to the start of work on the lookout." (The Bend Bulletin)
April 22, 1962: "The Odell Butte lookout station, constructed just short of 30 years ago when material was carried to the 7033-foot high peak on pack horses, is to be replaced. This time, material for the 14 by 14 foot lookout's quarters on a 20-foot tower will be moved in by truck. A road now reaches to within 0.9 of a mile of the peak, and later this season it will be extended to the summit. Bids for the project will be called this summer, Deschutes National Forest officials have announced, and work on the lookout will start in September. Odell Butte is in the Crescent district near the Willamette Highway." (The Sunday Oregonian – footnote 1)
August 20, 1962: "Plans and specifications for the 20-foot modified treated timber lookout tower proposed for construction on Odell Butte are now available in the engineers office of the Deschutes National Forest, Bend. Bids for the project have been set for 2 p.m., daylight time, on August 29. Interested bidders can obtain copies of bids and plans from the supervisor’s office in Bend. The project also includes installation of lightning protection and a wire safety fence." (The Bend Bulletin)
Klamath FPA > Oregon Department of Forestry - 40S-5E-07
August 22, 1937: Listed as a minor lookout on the Upper Klamath Lake area, covered by the Klamath Forest Protective Association. (The Klamath News)
Fremont National Forest - 26S-10E-23
1948 - Fremont National Forest (S.O.)
2007 - Ron Kemnow photo
July 9, 1931: "The Forest Service maintains a lookout on Pumice Butte." (Lake County Examiner)
1932: Lightning protection was installed on the tower.
August 5, 1933: Panorama photos were taken by Sarlin.
1940: The lookout was staffed for 90 days and reported to the Walker Range Patrol in LaPine. Communications for this Co-op station was by telephone only.
1942: A memo from E. J. Rogers, Silver Lake District Ranger to the Forest Supervisor shows that the height of the tower was 61’11” from ground to floor of the cab. 7/16 galvanized cable was used for the guys. The guy cable sag was not to exceed three inches.
1956: The air marking number for this station was F-2.
RIVER BEDS BUTTE
Klamath Indian Agency / Winema National Forest - 34S-13E-12
2007 - Ron Kemnow photo
1933: " It is estimated that the detection system on the Klamath reservation is 90% complete. An emergency lookout is urgently needed east of the Black Hills section, the estimated cost of which, including road and tower, is $1200.00 and would cover some 150,000 acres of timbered lands in our most remote region." (FY 1933 Annual Forestry Report, Klamath Agency)
1934: "River Bed Butte truck trail, which is four miles in length and constructed for serving the lookout on River Bed Butte is fully completed." (Report to the Commissioner of Indian Affairs July 30, 1934)
1934:"Under new ECW projects three additional lookout stations are being constructed within the reservation.River Bed Butte, located near the eastern boundary of the reservation, east and north of the Black Hills, will consist of an sixty foot Aermotor tower, cabin, fire finder, etc., and will cover a large “unseen” territory having a high hazard, mostly within the Black Hills and Fuego Mountain ranges." (FY 1934 Annual Forestry Report, Klamath Agency)
1934: A 67-foot tall steel Aermotor lookout tower was constructed by the CCC and later assigned 641 as the new building number by the Klamath Indian Agency. Also the same year building number 642 was built, a 12x16 living quarters the type as constructed by the CCC Indian Division on other sites with Aermotor towers. The total cost for both structures was $4,191.13.
1935: Ten acres of Reservation lands were set aside for administrative purposes of fire detection.
July 30, 1953: "It was from River Beds, 85 miles away from the control office at the Agency, that a desperate call for help came in recently. A child was very ill, could the doctor rush out? Dr. F.D. Wilder was already needed locally on a rush call but he came to the radio, asked numerous questions and made his diagnosis. Medicine would be rushed out. Pilot Dick Smith then came into the picture, was given the prescription which he fastened to a small parachute. He flew out to River Beds, and in spite of a high wind, dropped the precious package right at the tower doorway. Dr. Wilder kept at the case by radio and a few days later came word “temperature and disposition back to normal.”(Herald and News)
July 1, 1959: Advertisement for bids, Klamath Tribes, a 67 foot steel tower with a 12x16 cabin. Black Hills Unit. (The Oregonian - footnote 1)
January 15, 1963: "Air markings have been painted on all except Riverbeds Butte which at present does not lend itself to air marking. This tower is made of steel with a 7x7 cab. The cab is in a poor state of repair and badly needs replacing." (A memo from the Bly District Ranger to the Forest Supervisor)
1969: Manned only in emergencies. (After lightning storms or high hazard days.) The living quarters is manned each year as a fireman station.
1972: Comments on the 1972 Lookout Condition Report: Riverbed lookout tower is steel guyed approximately one-half way up the tower. The guys do not have thimbles. The steel structure is in good shape. Stairs in good shape. Paint is peeling on the inside of the cab. There are two windows out in the quarters. Windows are needed in both the quarters and the tower. The fire-finder should be grounded. This is a good emergency tower. No major maintenance required.
1974: Evaluation of this site indicates that it qualifies under the Potable Water Program. Presently the site consists of a spring with a spring box and a gravity flow outlet. Proposed corrective measures include repair work on spring box and treatment and disinfection as required.. from a 1974 Project evaluation.
Klamath FPA - 35S-14E-02
no date - Dorothy Fairfield photo
2007 - Ron Kemnow photo
1941: Telephone line was built to the summit.
June 14, 1943: " Two camps of approximately 30 high school boys who trained during the last school year are situated at Penny and Rodeo Springs, Ogle said. Emergency fire wardens numbering 131 have volunteered for service this season, and more are needed. Volunteers are paid for their services and are called on during emergencies." (Herald and News)
August 10, 1943: "At the Rodeo Springs camp, the boys have completed about 18 miles of telephone lines, constructed a lookout tower on Rodeo Butte, and built a road to the summit." (Herald and News)
1943: "The sum of $348.45 was spent on the construction of a tree lookout." (KFPA Annual Report 1943)
August 31, 1943: "Since the majority of the boys who have been working at the Rodeo Springs fire camp have gone back to school. This fire camp has been closed. KFPA officials said today." (Herald and News)
Klamath Indian Agency / Winema National Forest - 29S-9E-08
1986 - La Vaughn Kemnow photo
2007 - Ron Kemnow photo
April 1,1935: " Narrative justification of projects proposed for 1935. No. 59 – Steel tower and cabin on Little Round Butte: Tower to be 107’ cabin for lookout quarters. This will finish a much needed lookout station for covering the northwest, north-central and northeastern area of the Reservation. The present “outside” system of control in this section does not cover approximately eight townships within the northern half of the Reservation during periods of decreased visibility. Improvements will be on Tribal lands." (Conservation Working Plan)
1935: A 12x16 foot cabin was constructed by the CCC-ID, to be used as the living quarters for the lookout. The cost of this building was $1,766.24. The assigned building number was 662.
1936: The records show that a 107-foot tall Aermotor steel tower was constructed by the CCC-ID at a cost of $2,595.44. The new building number was 661.
1937: "Justification of proposals for 1937. No. 156 – Communication with Round Butte Lookout is now being conducted over an abandoned Forest Service line off the north boundary of the Reservation. This line is used by the Forest Protective Association, and is not being maintained. It is in such a poor condition that we were unable to call Round Butte on many occasions during the past season. The proposed extension will be a pole ground line of copper-steel wire. It will extend to Three Creeks along the Military Crossing Road and will connect with the line to Round Butte at the Three Creeks Guard and Linerider Station, thus placing both the lookout and guard station on a more direct circuit."(Conservation Work Plan Report 1937)
August 13,1942: " A two acre forest fire started in the Chiloquin Lumber Company’s operations on the North Marsh Timber Unit and was controlled by the company loggers and Indian Service fire guards. It was discovered by Joe Jackson at the Round Butte lookout." (The Chiloquin Review)
January 1961: " With the termination act, Round Butte lookout became the responsibility of the KFPA to operate and maintain." (Klamath Tribune)
June 10, 1963: " At Round Mountain, 25 to 50 mph winds were swaying the 100-foot high fire lookout station “as a ship in a rolling sea,” but otherwise there has been no damage. Round Mountain is in Beaver Marsh, near Diamond Lake Junction." (Herald and News)
1967: Both the tower and the ground cabin were painted. A new trap door was built for the tower.
July 5, 1968: " The lookout at Round Butte reported smoke between Highway 97 and the railroad right of way about 5:02 p.m. and within the next four minutes a KFPA fighter had located a burning stump next to an abandoned campfire and extinguished the flames." (Herald and News)
1974: The 1974 lookout information summary shows that the state abandoned the lookout. At this time the lookout was under the control of the Oregon Department of Forestry.
1991: The land owner felt that the tower was a liability and the failure to find a new location for the structure, the State Forestry Department sent a crew with a cutting torch to cut two of the legs and used a small cat to pull the tower to the ground.
1994: The tower was dismantled and scrapped.
Klamath FPA - 34S-15E-05
#1 - 2007 - Ron Kemnow photo
#2 - 2007 - Ron Kemnow photo
July 9, 1931: "The Klamath Forest Protective Association has a station on Shake Butte, near Currier Camp, which is now functioning." (Lake County Examiner)
1931: " In Unit 2 we constructed a road and a telephone line to the top of Shake Butte and set up a small lookout tower." (23rd KFPA Annual Report 1931)
May 14, 1934: Panorama photos were taken by Rittenhouse.
1940: The lookout was staffed for 180 days. The reporting station was Bly Station. Communications were by radio and telephone.
May 27, 1943: "Rozella Thompson, Accompanying Mrs. Thompson, a second and third grade teacher at Riverside, will be her husband who is to be the warden." (Herald and News)
1951: On the December 26th list of KFPA lookouts and their locations notes that this lookout sets on USFS lands.
1954: " A 31 foot steel tower with a 10x10 wooden house was 90% completed. A total of $1258.78 was expended, estimated final cost when completed will be $1500.00" (KFPA Annual Report)
1956: The new steel steps on the new tower were finished and put into operation this summer.
June 10, 1963: "On Shake Butte, 18 miles north of Bly, winds from 50 to 60 mph have been recorded and snow is falling so heavily that the fire guard is unable to see the ground from the lookout tower." (Herald and News)
August 21, 1967: "The district forester for the KFPA dispatched the Camp 6 crew to a class A blaze “just barely south of Shake Butte.” Lightning had struck a snag and caused a small amount of ground fire. The crew had no problem extinguishing the fire. It was spotted by the Shake Butte lookout." (Herald and News)
1970: No fires were reported from this station. The outside of the tower including the stairs were painted.
1972: As of June 23, this was the only lookout operated by the State not yet opened for the fire season.