Rogue River National Forest > Southwest Oregon FPA 32S-1E-35
May 1933: "No objection if offered to the use by the Forest Service of the SE 1/4 SW 1/4 NE 1/4 NE 1/2 and the NE 1/4 SW 1/4 NE 1/4 for lookout purposes and while such use continues necessary, no action will be taken with a view to disposing of the land pursuant to said act of June 9, 1916 as authorized under the above mentioned Executive Order. The timber, however, on the SW 1/4 NE 1/2 it is understood will be subject to sale at any time as provided by the act of June 9, 1916. In view of the above facts, no further withdrawal of land appears necessary. With respect to the desire of obtaining approximately 4m. feet of Douglas fir pole timber for construction of a lookout tower, I wish to state that there is no express statuary provision for such use of the timber. The Congress, however, has made provision for fire protection and a reasonable use of timber in that connection is believed permissible. If the cutting, therefore, is confined to the amount needed, no objection will be interposed." (Letter from the Secretary of the Interior)
August 8, 1933: "A 40-foot tower is now under construction at Burnt Peak in the Elk Creek district, to which a road is now being built." (Medford Mail Tribune)
September 12, 1933: "The Elk Creek CCC crew is completing the Burnt Peak lookout." (Medford Mail Tribune)
May 11, 1934: Panorama photos taken by James Rittenhouse.
May 27, 1935: "Frank Ragsdale, CCC man, is acting lookout on the Burnt Peak lookout station for the present." & "Ranger J.P. DeWitt was on inspection tour in this vicinity May 22. He visited Burnt Peak lookout station." (Medford Mail Tribune)
September 25, 1935: "Ranger DeWitt and H.L. Ash were busy all day Saturday lining up the fire finder at Burnt Peak. Flashes from a number of local lookouts were taken and then checked up on." (Medford Mail Tribune)
June 16, 1938: "Lee Merriman is stationed at Burnt Peak lookout station again this year." (Medford Mail Tribune)
_ 1941: The lookout was staffed
105 days. Communications were by phone connections with Columbia
Utilities Company to the reporting station at Union Creek.
August 24, 1942: "Three small fires occurred in the Rogue River National Forest over the weekend, the most serious burning about a half acre on Elk Creek, the forest service announced today. This blaze was started Saturday afternoon, according to the forest service, by a hot bearing on a drag saw being operated on his own property by William Heckathorn. The bearing ignited some sawdust and believing he had completely extinguished the fire, Heckathorn went home. At 4 a.m. Sunday the lookout at Burnt Peak discovered the conflagration and notified the fire guard at Matthews cabin, who put it out. The fire destroyed six tiers of wood Heckathorn has cut." (Medford Mail Tribune)
_June 24, 1943: Aircraft Warning Service Station 'How 7-4' was inactivated with recommendation to retain. (Report of Aircraft Warning Service Stations, May 1, 1944)
1946: A 28-foot timber tower with an L-4 cab was constructed at cost of $1200.00. Howard Ash, a long time lookout on the peak was the builder. (Medford Mail Tribune)
1948: The lookout and lookout duties were transferred from the Rogue River National Forest to the Southwest Oregon FPA.
October 15, 1962: "Aerial reconnaissance in the southwest district of the state department of forestry revealed some damage to the roofs of Round Top and Burnt Peak lookouts. Crews were sent into them today." (Medford Mail Tribune)
1972: The tower was dismantled with the timbers going to White Point for the new tower there.